touch (tactile) sensors in Gazebo

Jaak Simm
Hello gazebo devs and users,

I'm using gazebo for robotic experiments. I'm interested in creating
touch sensors for a robot. Has anyone accomplished that and could give
me a hint or a pointer?

I figured out that a simple touch sensor isn't a problem, because a very
short ranged sonar would simulate the input of a simple touch sensor.
But a sonar cannot be used if the touch sensor has to respond
differently to different forces by basically sending the force of the
touch. Can you explain me how could I create such a sensor in gazebo?

Thank you in advance,
Jaak Simm
PhD student
University of Tartu

Re: touch (tactile) sensors in Gazebo

You could use a slider joint as your touch sensor. It should be fairly
straight forward. If the slider is pressed in far enough, then the
sensor is "triggered".

-nate

On 11/30/05, Jaak Simm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello gazebo devs and users,
>
> I'm using gazebo for robotic experiments. I'm interested in creating
> touch sensors for a robot. Has anyone accomplished that and could give
> me a hint or a pointer?
>
> I figured out that a simple touch sensor isn't a problem, because a very
> short ranged sonar would simulate the input of a simple touch sensor.
> But a sonar cannot be used if the touch sensor has to respond
> differently to different forces by basically sending the force of the
> touch. Can you explain me how could I create such a sensor in gazebo?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Jaak Simm
> PhD student
> University of Tartu

Re: touch (tactile) sensors in Gazebo

Jaak Simm
Thanks for the answer, I'll try out the slider joint.

I have another issue. Namely, I was creating my own plugin model, but it
turned out that there was no collision detection between the Body's that
the model was made of, but I noticed that collision detection worked at
the Model level. Is it possible to activate it some how, so that bodies
of a model would also have collision detection among themselves? Tried
SetCollideBits() for their geoms, but it had no effect.

Cheers,
Jaak

Jaak Simm wrote:

> I have another issue. Namely, I was creating my own plugin model, but
> it turned out that there was no collision detection between the Body's
> that the model was made of, but I noticed that collision detection
> worked at the Model level. Is it possible to activate it some how, so
> that bodies of a model would also have collision detection among
> themselves? Tried SetCollideBits() for their geoms, but it had no effect.

Since I solved it myself, I'll post the solution for those facing the
same problem.

Actually it is very simple to enable collision detection within a Model.
In your model loading method (OdeLoad probably) just create a new
spaceId for every Geom that you want to have a
within-model-collision-detection, like that:
  dSpaceID spaceIdGeom1 = dSimpleSpaceCreate( this->world->GetSpaceId() );
  dSpaceID spaceIdGeom2 = dSimpleSpaceCreate( this->world->GetSpaceId() );
  geom1 = new BoxGeom( this->body1, spaceIdGeom1, 1, 1, 1 );
  geom2 = new BoxGeom( this->body2, spaceIdGeom2, 1, 1, 1 );
After that geom1 and geom2 will have collision detection also between
themselves.

Cheers,
Jaak