Quantcast

ptzProxy setSpeed problem

jem35
Hello !

I'm controlling a ptz Camera with Player using the ptzProxy.
I want to do a speed controlling. I succeed to control the pan and the tilt in speed but i can't do it with the zoom.
For the moment, I can only control the zoom in Position.

My code is something like that :

    ptz->SelectControlMode(PLAYER_PTZ_VELOCITY_CONTROL);
    ptz->SetSpeed(val1, val2, val3);

Is there anything that I'm doing wrong ? Is there min-max value ?

Thank you.

Re: ptzProxy setSpeed problem

Rich Mattes-2
On 08/22/2013 11:37 AM, jem35 wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I'm controlling a ptz Camera with Player using the ptzProxy.
> I want to do a speed controlling. I succeed to control the pan and the tilt
> in speed but i can't do it with the zoom.
> For the moment, I can only control the zoom in Position.
>
> My code is something like that :
>
>     ptz->SelectControlMode(PLAYER_PTZ_VELOCITY_CONTROL);
>     ptz->SetSpeed(val1, val2, val3);
>
> Is there anything that I'm doing wrong ? Is there min-max value ?
>
> Thank you.

You're probably not doing anything wrong, it depends on the driver
you're using.  Player drivers don't usually implement all of the
functionality exposed by the interfaces.  It might be the case that the
driver simply doesn't handle changing zoom with a velocity control, and
only takes absolute positions.  If the driver isn't documented, you'll
have to look at the code to be sure.

Re: ptzProxy setSpeed problem

Fred Labrosse
On Thursday 22 August 2013 19:39:08 Rich Mattes wrote:

> On 08/22/2013 11:37 AM, jem35 wrote:
> > Hello !
> >
> > I'm controlling a ptz Camera with Player using the ptzProxy.
> > I want to do a speed controlling. I succeed to control the pan and the
> > tilt
> > in speed but i can't do it with the zoom.
> > For the moment, I can only control the zoom in Position.
> >
> > My code is something like that :
> >     ptz->SelectControlMode(PLAYER_PTZ_VELOCITY_CONTROL);
> >     ptz->SetSpeed(val1, val2, val3);
> >
> > Is there anything that I'm doing wrong ? Is there min-max value ?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> You're probably not doing anything wrong, it depends on the driver
> you're using.  Player drivers don't usually implement all of the
> functionality exposed by the interfaces.  It might be the case that the
> driver simply doesn't handle changing zoom with a velocity control, and
> only takes absolute positions.  If the driver isn't documented, you'll
> have to look at the code to be sure.

The driver in question is the sonyevid30.  I just had a look and there are no
functions to set/get zoom speed.  I wonder if this is a limitation of the
cameras/VISCA protocol.  Something to look into I guess.

Fred

On Friday 23 August 2013 09:04:19 Fred Labrosse wrote:

> On Thursday 22 August 2013 19:39:08 Rich Mattes wrote:
> > On 08/22/2013 11:37 AM, jem35 wrote:
> > > Hello !
> > >
> > > I'm controlling a ptz Camera with Player using the ptzProxy.
> > > I want to do a speed controlling. I succeed to control the pan and the
> > > tilt
> > > in speed but i can't do it with the zoom.
> > > For the moment, I can only control the zoom in Position.
> > >
> > > My code is something like that :
> > >     ptz->SelectControlMode(PLAYER_PTZ_VELOCITY_CONTROL);
> > >     ptz->SetSpeed(val1, val2, val3);
> > >
> > > Is there anything that I'm doing wrong ? Is there min-max value ?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> >
> > You're probably not doing anything wrong, it depends on the driver
> > you're using.  Player drivers don't usually implement all of the
> > functionality exposed by the interfaces.  It might be the case that the
> > driver simply doesn't handle changing zoom with a velocity control, and
> > only takes absolute positions.  If the driver isn't documented, you'll
> > have to look at the code to be sure.
>
> The driver in question is the sonyevid30.  I just had a look and there are
> no functions to set/get zoom speed.  I wonder if this is a limitation of
> the cameras/VISCA protocol.  Something to look into I guess.

In fact, it is worse than that.  PtzProxy::SetSpeed() has a zoom speed
parameter.  However, this calls playerc_ptz_set_ws() ignoring that parameter,
therefore not ever using the zoom speed information.  Furthermore, the
player_ptz_cmd_t structure does not have a field for a zoom speed...

So this is not that the driver does not implement the feature but that the
interface does not allow it.

Anyone can shed some light on why this is the case?  I just checked and the
VISCA protocol does support variable zoom speed.

Cheers,

Fred