Quantcast

player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung

Hello! How’s everything?

To install player-3.0.2 onto Ubuntu13.10 32bits,
during make,
I encountered error as listed below:
{
Linking CXX executable playerc++_test
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/playerc++_test.dir/test.o: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.8/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libboost_system.so: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
make[2]: *** [client_libs/libplayerc++/test/playerc++_test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [client_libs/libplayerc++/test/CMakeFiles/playerc++_test.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
robot@robot0:~/playerstagesrc/player-3.0.2/build$
}

I tried to
{
(1)
Install libboost-system-dev,
$apt-get install libboost-system-dev

Using dpkg found
   installed libboost-syste is version 1.53.0.0ubun.
   installed libboost-dev is 1.53.0.0ubun
(2)
Change environment variable – LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the path
where libboost_system.so is, that is:
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

(3)
~/playerstage/player-3.0.2/build$ cmake ../

(4)
change the CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS variable in /player-3.0.2/build/CMakeCache.txt.
Change the line
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=   -lboost_system

(5)
~playerstage/player-3.0.2/build$make
 }

Still encounter the same error.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina-2
Hi Fung Yang,
all the step you mentioned seems right for me.
You can also try to set the linker flag, and you can do this is using ccmake.
Pressing the 't' key (advanced mode) you can add extra flags, I think the variable is CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAG.
Also you can try compiling with
$> make VERBOSE=1
and check the linker flags in the line where the error arise.

I hope this can help you.

On 5 November 2013 00:18, fung <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Gonzalo F. Perez Paina
Research Center in Informatics for Engineering (CIII)
Universidad Tecnológica Nacional. Facultad Regional Córdoba
Maestro M. López esq. Cruz Roja Argentina - C.P.: X5016ZAA
Ed. Salcedo, Of.5. Tel.: 5986000, Int.: 1445
e-mail: [hidden email]
webpage: http://ciii.frc.utn.edu.ar/GonzaloPerezPaina

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina,

Thank you very much for your advice.
But it still not working.

I tried to use ccmake, pressed ‘t’ for advanced mode
and edited two variables:
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS   -lboost_system
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAG   -boost_system

then
Configure, generate,

Then
$make   VERBOSE=1 > playerMakeLog

The output I got is
(1)playerMakeLog  uploaded with this post.
(2)playerMakeTerminalLog also uploaded with this post.

playerMakeLogplayerMakeTerminalLog

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina-2
Hi Fung Yang,
in the playerMakeLog it can be seen that -lboost_system flag is presented, so they are found.

Just now, I'm trying to compile player (svn version) in a new machine and I'm having a similar issue as you.
I also get the error

 undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

and it seems that this error is due the version of cmake and libboost.
I have cmake version 2.8.11 and libboost 1.54, and I solve this adding -lboost_system to CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS.

Which versions of player source, cmake and libboost are you using?

On 7 November 2013 22:28, fung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina,

Thank you very much for your advice.
But it still not working.

I tried to use ccmake, pressed ‘t’ for advanced mode
and edited two variables:
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS   -lboost_system
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAG   -boost_system

then
Configure, generate,

Then
$make   VERBOSE=1 > playerMakeLog

The output I got is
(1)playerMakeLog  uploaded with this post.
(2)playerMakeTerminalLog also uploaded with this post.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

playerMakeLog
<http://player-stage-gazebo.10965.n7.nabble.com/file/n19138/playerMakeLog>
playerMakeTerminalLog
<http://player-stage-gazebo.10965.n7.nabble.com/file/n19138/playerMakeTerminalLog>

Gonzalo F. Perez Paina
Research Center in Informatics for Engineering (CIII)
Universidad Tecnológica Nacional. Facultad Regional Córdoba
Maestro M. López esq. Cruz Roja Argentina - C.P.: X5016ZAA
Ed. Salcedo, Of.5. Tel.: 5986000, Int.: 1445
e-mail: [hidden email]
webpage: http://ciii.frc.utn.edu.ar/GonzaloPerezPaina

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The system I’m working on is:
{
Ubuntu-13.10 32 bits
gearbox-9.11 (need this for hokuyo aist driver to work)
player-3.0.2
cmake 2.8.11.2-1ub
ccmake 2.8.11.2-1ub
libboost-system-dev is version 1.53.0.0ubun.
libboost-dev is 1.53.0.0ubun
}

I also added -lboost_system to CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS but still does not work.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina,

Hello! How’s everything?

I have tried to
{
$ sudo apt-get remove libboost-dev
$sudo apt-get remove libboost-thread-dev
$sudo apt-get remove libboost-signals-dev
$sudo apt-get remove libboost-system-dev
}
and installed
{
$sudo apt-get libboost1.54-dev
$sudo apt-get libboost-thread1.54-dev
$sudo apt-get libboost-signals1.54-dev
$sudo apt-get libboost-system1.54-dev
}

Then add –lboost_system to
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS
and
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
using ccmake [t].

Still the same error encountered

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina,

Hello! How’s everything?

I have tried to
{
$ sudo apt-get remove libboost-dev
$sudo apt-get remove libboost-thread-dev
$sudo apt-get remove libboost-signals-dev
$sudo apt-get remove libboost-system-dev
}
and installed (corrected)
{
$sudo apt-get install libboost1.54-dev
$sudo apt-get install libboost-thread1.54-dev
$sudo apt-get install libboost-signals1.54-dev
$sudo apt-get install libboost-system1.54-dev
}

Then add –lboost_system to
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS
and
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
using ccmake [t].

Still the same error encountered

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

Rich Mattes-2
On 11/10/2013 04:29 PM, fung wrote:

> Hi Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina,
>
> Hello! How’s everything?
>
> I have tried to
> {
> $ sudo apt-get remove libboost-dev
> $sudo apt-get remove libboost-thread-dev
> $sudo apt-get remove libboost-signals-dev
> $sudo apt-get remove libboost-system-dev
> }
> and installed (corrected)
> {
> $sudo apt-get install libboost1.54-dev
> $sudo apt-get install libboost-thread1.54-dev
> $sudo apt-get install libboost-signals1.54-dev
> $sudo apt-get install libboost-system1.54-dev
> }
>
> Then add –lboost_system to
> CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS
> and
> CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
> using ccmake [t].
>
> Still the same error encountered
>
> Your advice is very much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> Fung Yang

Is there any reason you need version 3.0.2?  Can you try building Player
from subversion?  There have been some changes as to how Player detects
Boost since 3.0.2 was released.

On 11/10/2013 04:50 PM, Rich Mattes wrote:

> On 11/10/2013 04:29 PM, fung wrote:
>> Hi Gonzalo Fernando Perez Paina,
>>
>> Hello! How’s everything?
>>
>> I have tried to
>> {
>> $ sudo apt-get remove libboost-dev
>> $sudo apt-get remove libboost-thread-dev
>> $sudo apt-get remove libboost-signals-dev
>> $sudo apt-get remove libboost-system-dev
>> }
>> and installed (corrected)
>> {
>> $sudo apt-get install libboost1.54-dev
>> $sudo apt-get install libboost-thread1.54-dev
>> $sudo apt-get install libboost-signals1.54-dev
>> $sudo apt-get install libboost-system1.54-dev
>> }
>>

> Is there any reason you need version 3.0.2?  Can you try building
> Player from subversion?  There have been some changes as to how Player
> detects Boost since 3.0.2 was released.
>
> Rich
I just set up a saucy chroot and tried this myself.  I was able to
recreate the issue, and it looks like the fix in Player svn will work.

To be specific, in client_libs/libplayerc++/CMakeLists.txt, there are
two mechanisms to find boost.  One is for CMake 2.6+ and one is a
fallback for older versions of CMake.  The logic is faulty though: the
scripts check for "CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION EQUAL 6" which worked for CMake
2.6, but is broken for CMake 2.8.  To fix the issue, replace
"CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION EQUAL 6" with "CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION GREATER 5".
This is the fix that went into svn.

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Rich,

(1)
{
Thank you very much for your advice.
But still encounter the same error.

I have changed 3 locations in
/player-3.0.2/client_libs/libplayerc++/CMakeLists.txt
Form
CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION EQUAL 6
CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION GREATER 5

Then
/player-3.0.2/build$ ccmake ../
Then [t] advanced feature
Then
Then add –lboost_system to
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS
And
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
Then [g] generate
and then
$make

I noticed that during ccmake [t] advanced feature,
Boost_DIR = Boost_DIR-NOTFOUND
Boost_LIBRARY_DIR = /usr/lib
which is correct
}
(2)
{
Since we need hokuyo_aist driver to be enabled
(for the laser range finder to work on our robots),
We choose player-3.0.2 because it’s a stable version and
It can work with gearbox-9.11 to enable hokuyo_aist driver functionality.

If we use player-svn version,
We do not know which package should we install first
to have hokuyo_aist driver enabled when later configure player-svn.

Your advice on how to enable hokuyo_aist driver when compiling player-svn is very much appreciated.
}

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

On 11/10/2013 09:04 PM, fung wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> (2)
> {
> Since we need hokuyo_aist driver to be enabled
> (for the laser range finder to work on our robots),
> We choose player-3.0.2 because it’s a stable version and
> It can work with gearbox-9.11 to enable hokuyo_aist driver functionality.
>
> If we use player-svn version,
> We do not know which package should we install first
> to have hokuyo_aist driver enabled when later configure player-svn.
>
> Your advice on how to enable hokuyo_aist driver when compiling player-svn is
> very much appreciated.
> }
>
> Many thanks,
> Fung Yang

You'll need to download flexiport and hokuyo_aist from [1] and [2] in
order to use Player svn with the hokuyo driver.  According to the boost
documentation, as of about version 1.49 the boost_thread library
requires the boost_system library to be linked.  I've updated
client_libs/libplayerc++/CMakeLists.txt in svn to reflect this fact; you
can either backport the additional changes from svn to 3.0.2, or you can
try to run the svn version of the Player.

Rich

[1] https://github.com/gbiggs/flexiport/
[2] https://github.com/gbiggs/hokuyoaist/

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I’m now planning to use player-svn
With
flexiport-master
hokuyoaist-master

my system is ubuntu13.10 2 bit
libboost version 1.53
cmake version 2.8.11.2

I disabled build document for both flexiport-master and hokuyoaist-master

I was trying to make hokuyoaist-master but encountered error listed below
{
[ 83%] Building CXX object examples/CMakeFiles/hokuyoaist_example.dir/example.cpp.o
/home/robot/playerstagesrc/hokuyoaist-master/examples/example.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
/home/robot/playerstagesrc/hokuyoaist-master/examples/example.cpp:51:61: error: ‘getopt’ was not declared in this scope
     while((opt = getopt(argc, argv, "b:c:e:f:il:m:no:s:u:vh")) != -1)
                                                             ^
/home/robot/playerstagesrc/hokuyoaist-master/examples/example.cpp:56:24: error: ‘optarg’ was not declared in this scope
                 sscanf(optarg, "%d", &cluster_count);
                        ^
make[2]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/hokuyoaist_example.dir/example.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/hokuyoaist_example.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
}

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Fung Yang

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

Rich Mattes-2

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM, fung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rich,

[...]

This isn't a Player issue, but it looks like you need to #include <unistd.h> in the file that's throwing the error.

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for your advice.
I also found adding
#include <unistd.h>
hokuyoaist-master/examples/example.cpp
hokuyoaist-master/examples/getid.cpp
can solve the problem.

Many thanks,
Fung Ynag

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for your advice.
I have encountered another problem
installing player-svn with hokuyoaist

I have installed flexiport and hokuyoaist with

/usr/local/lib/libflexiport.so
/usr/local/lib/libflexiport.so.2
/usr/local/lib/libflexiport.so.2.0.0

/usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so
/usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so.3
/usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so.3.0.1

I then added the following lines into ~/.bashrc
export  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

then close the terminal and opened a new terminal.
Then
Player-svn/build$ccmake ../

I then try to turn on
ENABLE_DRIVER_HOKUYOAIST

But every time I pressed configure [c],
ENABLE_DRIVER_HOKUYOAIST
Is turned off.

I was not able to enable
ENABLE_DRIVER_HOKUYOAIST

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Fung Yang

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Rich,

Hello! How’s everything?

For installing player-svn with hokuyoaist,
I run
Player-svn/build$cmake ../
and found in the output message
----- Processing driver make files -----
checking for module 'hokuyoaist=3.0.0'
  package 'hokuyoaist=3.0.0' not found

and the hokuyoaist-master downloaded from
[1] https://github.com/gbiggs/

Installed into
/usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so
/usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so.3
/usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so.3.0.1

Which is version 3.0.1

So hokuyoaist-master is not compatible with player-svn.

This is exactly the same problem we encountered same time last year.
So we have to choose to use player-3.0.2 with gearbox-9.11.

Is player-svn going to be updated to work with current
https://github.com/gbiggs/hokuyoaist/ ?

or do you have a link to hokuyoaist-3.0.0 so I can install it instead?

Or I should continue to work with player-3.0.2 with gearbox-9.11?
But compiling player-3.0.2 has unsolved link problem still.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

On 11/11/2013 06:32 PM, fung wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> Hello! How’s everything?
>
> For installing player-svn with hokuyoaist,
> I run
> Player-svn/build$cmake ../
> and found in the output message
> ----- Processing driver make files -----
> checking for module 'hokuyoaist=3.0.0'
>    package 'hokuyoaist=3.0.0' not found
>
> and the hokuyoaist-master downloaded from
> [1] https://github.com/gbiggs/
>
> Installed into
> /usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so
> /usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so.3
> /usr/local/lib/libhokuyoaist.so.3.0.1
>
> Which is version 3.0.1

This was a typo in the detection logic.  I have updated player-svn to
detect hokuyoaist 3.0.1 properly.  Please run svn update, then re-run
cmake rebuild.

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for the update on player-svn.
Player-svn can now be compiled to 100% with hokuyoaist enabled.

Many thanks,
Fung Yang

Re: player make error: undefined reference to symbol '_ZN5boost6system15system_categoryEv'

fung
Hi Rich,

Hello! How’s everything?

About installing player-svn,
There is bug in
Player-svn/server/drivers/ranger/rangertolaser.cc

A PHD student, Chandan, in our lab modified the file.
and after I replaced the file then rebuild player,
the robot can now do laserobstacleavoid.

The modified rangertolaser.cc is attached in this message.

Best regards,
Fung Yang
rangertolaser.cc