newbie question for player stage for modeling slope map

newbie question for player stage for modeling slope map

logicalguy
Hi, I'm a newbie to player/stage/gazebo, so please be patient with me and help me out, thanks :)

What I'm trying to achieve is analyse a slope map and create a world in stage which I can use for path planning algorithms, like A*. or the built in VFH.

Is there any way to represent height/elevation in a stage world?  If I have a canvas with regions indicating obstacles, is there any way to indicate the height/slope of the obstacles in any way?  Colour coding is impossible, I believe.  Would gazebo be able to do this?

Sorry if this seems like a naive question - we all have to begin somewhere!

Thanks, and hoping for quick replies.

Re: newbie question for player stage for modeling slope map

Tyler Gunn
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:51 AM, logicalguy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way to represent height/elevation in a stage world?  If I have
> a canvas with regions indicating obstacles, is there any way to indicate the
> height/slope of the obstacles in any way?  Colour coding is impossible, I
> believe.  Would gazebo be able to do this?

You CAN represent height/elevation in a stage world, but unfortunately
you can't represent slope.  Stage is intended as a 2.5D simulation.
So your robots are all driving on a 2D plane, and the obstacles in the
environment can have varying height.  If you wanted a robot to be able
to change elevations based on what they're driving on you'd need to
modify it some how.  I think Gazebo  is what you're looking for.

Tyler

Re: newbie question for player stage for modeling slope map

logicalguy
Thank you for quick response.  I also got a response to this question in my email and this is what it is:

You CAN represent height/elevation in a stage world, but unfortunately
you can't represent slope.  Stage is intended as a 2.5D simulation.
So your robots are all driving on a 2D plane, and the obstacles in the
environment can have varying height.  If you wanted a robot to be able
to change elevations based on what they're driving on you'd need to
modify it some how.  I think Gazebo  is what you're looking for.

Tyler

Is there any one who has represented height in a stage world who is willing to show me how its done?  Can I query this information programmatically?

Thanks again for your answers.