friction and mass

Elizabeth Duane
Hello,

I'm doing a simulation of "box-pushing" on Gazebo 0.9 . I need test if one
robot can push one box according the box's weight.
I figured it would have to change only the object's parameters of friction
and mass and the friction of the ground, but there is something wrong.
I changed the box's mass with a lot of values and yet the robot pushed the
box. I tried to change the friction too, but it was  unsuccessful.

What is the diference between the parameters <mul>, <mu1> and <mu2>? Maybe,
I'm not setting the parameters correctly.

Any idea?

Thanks for helping.

Re: friction and mass

Peter Nordin-2
Hi,

Have you tried setting the <mu> parameters to very high values?
I think that Gazebo is using the simplified friction model in ODE, you
can read about it here:
http://opende.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Manual_%28Concepts%29#Physics_model

This simplified model means that the value of the mu parameters is the
maximum friction force in the contact point.

The contact between the floor and the box is represented by a Contact
Joint, you can read about them here:
http://opende.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Manual_%28Joint_Types_and_Functions%29#Contact

You can set some of the parameters through the gazebo xml model file,
but I do not remember exactly which ones.
If you go through the gazebo source code you will probably find
(somewhere) what parameters are loaded from the xml file, and what
default values they are given if not present.

I hope this is helpful.

With regards
Peter Nordin