fiducial and blobfinder for 2.0

Richard vaughan

I've just fixed fiducial and blobfinder support in HEAD for player,
libplayerc, playerv and Stage. Good grief, it took me 4 hours. I
slightly tweaked the interfaces to bring them into line.

I see Brad's new libplayerc++ there. Glad to see someone's putting
some work into the C++ client - it's always been nasty.  Thanks Brad.
The new dependency on boost broke the build for me until I added some
Makefile.am tests for boost here and there. I may have slightly
broken fiducial or blobfinder in C++, but I can't test as I don't
have boost. I checked in anyway on the assumption that libplayerc has
more things dependent on it (e.g. playerv) than libplayerc++.

Brian - do you have a master to-do list for 2.0 anywhere? <player>/
TODO was last changed in January.

Richard/

Re: fiducial and blobfinder for 2.0

Brad Kratochvil
Richard vaughan wrote:

> I've just fixed fiducial and blobfinder support in HEAD for player,
> libplayerc, playerv and Stage.

I thought that the blobfinder support was already in there for
libplayerc (ie I thought I did it, but may have forgotten).  Did you
change anything major there?  If so, I may have to fiddle a little w/
Playercam.

> I see Brad's new libplayerc++ there. Glad to see someone's putting
> some work into the C++ client - it's always been nasty.  Thanks Brad.
> The new dependency on boost broke the build for me until I added some
> Makefile.am tests for boost here and there.

You're welcome.  Where did you have to add the checks?  I put one on the
libplayerc++ folder, but hadn't gotten to the test or examples folders.
Did you need any others?

I've been debating about building the libplayerc++ folder w/ or w/out
signaling depending on wheter or not boost is installed.  I'm a little
undecided as to what to do there.  On one hand, a C++ library (w/out
boost) is better than nothing at all, but I always dislike releasing a
crippled API.  Also, is having a thread safe version of libplayerc++
important to people out there?  If we end up making a thread-safe
version, then either it's more dependant on boost or I'll have to hack
the code up more with ifdefs so it can be compiled w/out.

> I may have slightly  broken fiducial or blobfinder in C++, but I can't
> test as I don't  have boost. I checked in anyway on the assumption
> that libplayerc has  more things dependent on it (e.g. playerv) than
> libplayerc++.

No problem because they haven't been implemented there yet.  I just put
the libplayerc++ api in there last week and it currenly only supports
the CameraProxy.  It has a few changes from the old api (most notably
signaling).  It's also now based entirely on libplayerc so we don't have
to reimplement code.  I would appreciated it if people could let me know
any feature requests or changes they would like.  I have some examples
of the signaling in examples/libplayerc++/example2.cc.

Best regards,

Brad

Re: fiducial and blobfinder for 2.0

Geoffrey Biggs
Is the libplayerc++ finalised (or close enough to it) such that other
proxies can be implemented? If it is, I can get a proxy for the actarray
interface done tomorrow, and the limb one shortly after that.

Geoff

--
Robotics research group, University of Auckland
http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~gbig005/

Geoffrey Biggs wrote:

> Is the libplayerc++ finalised (or close enough to it) such that other
> proxies can be implemented? If it is, I can get a proxy for the
> actarray interface done tomorrow, and the limb one shortly after that.

I'd say it's reasonably stable now, but there is always the possiblity
of changes.  As is, you can write the proxies and I'll take care of
keeping them updated to any changes that may occur.  There's enough work
that I'll take all the help I can get ;)

Best regards,

-bk

On 25-Sep-05, at 12:59 AM, Brad Kratochvil wrote:

> Richard vaughan wrote:
>

>> I've just fixed fiducial and blobfinder support in HEAD for
>> player,  libplayerc, playerv and Stage.
>>

> I thought that the blobfinder support was already in there for
> libplayerc (ie I thought I did it, but may have forgotten).  Did
> you change anything major there?  If so, I may have to fiddle a
> little w/ Playercam.

One important change was  in types for blobfinder pixel coordinates
in libplayerc.h. I changed them to unsigned ints. This seemed like a
good idea, but I'm already having second thoughts as it messed up the
arithmetic in playerv. It might cause problems in playercam as well.
If it's a pain, we should just change back to ints.

>> I see Brad's new libplayerc++ there. Glad to see someone's
>> putting  some work into the C++ client - it's always been nasty.
>> Thanks Brad.  The new dependency on boost broke the build for me
>> until I added some  Makefile.am tests for boost here and there.
>>

> You're welcome.  Where did you have to add the checks?  I put one
> on the libplayerc++ folder, but hadn't gotten to the test or
> examples folders.  Did you need any others?

I think it was just tests and examples.

> I've been debating about building the libplayerc++ folder w/ or w/
> out signaling depending on wheter or not boost is installed.  I'm a
> little undecided as to what to do there.  On one hand, a C++
> library (w/out boost) is better than nothing at all, but I always
> dislike releasing a crippled API.  Also, is having a thread safe
> version of libplayerc++ important to people out there?  If we end
> up making a thread-safe version, then either it's more dependant on
> boost or I'll have to hack the code up more with ifdefs so it can
> be compiled w/out.

I think its OK to have a boost dependency, so long as Player
complains very noisily if it can't find it. Lots of people use the
current C++ library, and most of them don't have boost. They'll be
confused if they can't build their clients after upgrading.

>> I may have slightly  broken fiducial or blobfinder in C++, but I
>> can't test as I don't  have boost. I checked in anyway on the
>> assumption that libplayerc has  more things dependent on it (e.g.
>> playerv) than libplayerc++.
>>

> No problem because they haven't been implemented there yet.  I just
> put the libplayerc++ api in there last week and it currenly only
> supports the CameraProxy.  It has a few changes from the old api
> (most notably signaling).  It's also now based entirely on
> libplayerc so we don't have to reimplement code.  I would
> appreciated it if people could let me know any feature requests or
> changes they would like.  I have some examples of the signaling in
> examples/libplayerc++/example2.cc.

Sounds good.

Richard/

> Best regards,
>
> Brad

amd64 pointers and ints

Toby Collett
Hi,
just a little request for everyone, can we avoid casting pointers to
ints, it breaks the compile on 64 bit machines :)

Toby

Re: fiducial and blobfinder for 2.0

Brian Gerkey

On Sep 25, 2005, at 12:31 AM, Richard vaughan wrote:

> Brian - do you have a master to-do list for 2.0 anywhere? <player>/
> TODO was last changed in January.

No, I haven't had a chance to throw one together.    I'll update TODO
sometime this week.

     brian.

--
Brian Gerkey