documentation for player/stage

Dr. Kevin Nickels
+1 on github for the code.

I'm interested in the documentation discussion - I've been slowly updating Jenny Owen's tutorial (with her till she got a "real job").

I found that LaTeX isn't the best for collaboration (i.e. I can't have any of my undergrad research students edit it directly), so we've been putting it into github markdown, now I'm wondering if that was the best choice :)

It's now at https://github.com/NickelsLab/Player-Stage-Manual, if anyone wants to start picking at it.  The python chapters are not complete, but all the stuff in Version 4 of the manual (which uses player-3.0.2 and stage-4.1.1) is all there.  My current student is past the player/stage learning phase and is into application research - so this is now a spare-time project.  As Rich says, I'll get to it as I have time :)

--kn

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Rich Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alright I got the Player code imported and invited a few people to the
new github organization.  I will grab the "www" and "papers" folders out
of svn and set up repositories under playerproject for each of them.

Github will let us host a page at playerproject.github.io, but it won't
let us use php.  I can restructure the playerstage.sf.net site to be
flat html instead of using php, which wouldn't be too hard.  I can also
use some space on my personal webserver to host the site, which will let
us not have to mess with the site, and will let us import and keep
running mediawiki with all the wiki spam that entails.  I think we can
worry about that later though.

I have noticed a lot of people using readthedocs.org as well, and also
have no idea how that works.  I'll look into that for the doxygen
documentation.

Rich

On 06/10/2015 10:21 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:
> An excellent plan, Rich.
>
> I agree that the code is the priority. For the website, etc., they will still be usable from SF until SF decides to coopt the project. What about putting the website and so on in a branch for now until you have time to look at them?
>
> One possibly for the API docs is readthedocs.org. I have absolutely no idea how they operate, but I seem to be increasingly directed there for documentation.
>
> Geoff

Kevin Nickels <[hidden email]>
http://www.trinity.edu/knickels 210-999-7543
Associate Professor, Engineering Science, Trinity University
Center for Sciences and Innovation (CSI), Rm 470Q, San Antonio TX 78212-7200

Re: documentation for player/stage

Rashad M

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Dr. Kevin Nickels <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 on github for the code.

I'm interested in the documentation discussion - I've been slowly updating Jenny Owen's tutorial (with her till she got a "real job").

I found that LaTeX isn't the best for collaboration (i.e. I can't have any of my undergrad research students edit it directly), so we've been putting it into github markdown, now I'm wondering if that was the best choice :)

If you are moving out of latex, I would recommend  RST (ReStructured Text). There is a lot of good things with rst such as using sphinx docs, convert to latex/pdf/ and more.

you can also host them on readthedocs.org

Anyway it is upto the devs, just my +1 for rst

It's now at https://github.com/NickelsLab/Player-Stage-Manual, if anyone wants to start picking at it.  The python chapters are not complete, but all the stuff in Version 4 of the manual (which uses player-3.0.2 and stage-4.1.1) is all there.  My current student is past the player/stage learning phase and is into application research - so this is now a spare-time project.  As Rich says, I'll get to it as I have time :)

--kn

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Rich Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alright I got the Player code imported and invited a few people to the
new github organization.  I will grab the "www" and "papers" folders out
of svn and set up repositories under playerproject for each of them.

Github will let us host a page at playerproject.github.io, but it won't
let us use php.  I can restructure the playerstage.sf.net site to be
flat html instead of using php, which wouldn't be too hard.  I can also
use some space on my personal webserver to host the site, which will let
us not have to mess with the site, and will let us import and keep
running mediawiki with all the wiki spam that entails.  I think we can
worry about that later though.

I have noticed a lot of people using readthedocs.org as well, and also
have no idea how that works.  I'll look into that for the doxygen
documentation.

Rich

On 06/10/2015 10:21 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:
> An excellent plan, Rich.
>
> I agree that the code is the priority. For the website, etc., they will still be usable from SF until SF decides to coopt the project. What about putting the website and so on in a branch for now until you have time to look at them?
>
> One possibly for the API docs is readthedocs.org. I have absolutely no idea how they operate, but I seem to be increasingly directed there for documentation.
>
> Geoff

   Rashad

Re: documentation for player/stage

Currently there's two places where tutorial-like material lives.  The
first place is the tutorials in the Player source that were part of the
Doxygen documentation[1].  Keeping the tutorials in the source tree
didn't seem like the greatest idea though, so a few years back I started
trying to migrate all of the documentation to the Player wiki[2].
There's a good amount of use-case oriented tutorial material there, plus
links to outside tutorial material (including Jenny's manual.)  I think
the wiki is a reasonable place to put tutorials like this.  The ROS guys
do the same thing[3], though there's a lot of other projects taking
different approaches[4][5]

That being said, the tutorial is hosted on Sourceforge's project
hosting, which we're thinking about migrating away from.  We could keep
the wiki if we use a third-party web host.  We can also use Github's
project site hosting, which is HTML-only (no fancy wikis or CMSs), or we
can use the github project wikis, which I don't like too much but
they're git repositories and support all the newfangled markdown
languages that people use these days.

I lean towards trying to keep the wiki alive and using that, but keeping
it spam-free on an independent host may be a lot of work.  Other than
that, I think maybe setting up a "tutorials" repository under
playerproject and finding out how to get it published somewhere like
gazebo has done seems like a good plan, but I don't have any idea how to
pull that off without more research.

Rich

[1]
http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/doc/Player-svn/player/group__tutorials.html