Weird gazebo simulation

Rein Appeldoorn
Hi all,

We are working on a simulation model of an autonomous football table. We
already build our model but we're struggling with the realism. We solved a
lot of problems but to this one, we can't find an answer to. Here is a movie
of the weird/unrealistic behavior:

Movie: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/gazebo_tablesoccer.avi

Has someone perhaps experienced similar problems or perhaps does someone
want to take a look at our code because we're probably making trivial
mistakes.

Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world

Thanks in advance,

Rein

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

Rein Appeldoorn
Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.txt

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are working on a simulation model of an autonomous football table. We
> already build our model but we're struggling with the realism. We solved a
> lot of problems but to this one, we can't find an answer to. Here is a movie
> of the weird/unrealistic behavior:
>
> Movie: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/gazebo_tablesoccer.avi
>
> Has someone perhaps experienced similar problems or perhaps does someone
> want to take a look at our code because we're probably making trivial
> mistakes.
>
> Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rein

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

John Hsu-2
Hi Rein,
Not sure if this will help, but have you tried reducing the friction
coefficients of the wheels <mu1> and <mu2> to something less than 1?
also, make sure that in the version of gazebo you are running,
contact.surface mode has "dContactApprox1" in it.

        contact.surface.mode = dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
dContactApprox1 | dContactMu2;

John

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.txt
> <http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world>
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are working on a simulation model of an autonomous football table. We
> > already build our model but we're struggling with the realism. We solved
> > lot of problems but to this one, we can't find an answer to. Here is a
> movie
> > of the weird/unrealistic behavior:
> >
> > Movie:
> http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/gazebo_tablesoccer.avi
> >
> > Has someone perhaps experienced similar problems or perhaps does someone
> > want to take a look at our code because we're probably making trivial
> > mistakes.
> >
> > Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Rein

John Hsu, Ph.D.
Senior Research Engineer
Willow Garage Inc.
+1-650-475-2809

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

Rein Appeldoorn
John,

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean with the friction coefficients of the "wheels"?
And how do I check my Gazebo-settings if they are right?

Regards,

Rein

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rein,
> Not sure if this will help, but have you tried reducing the friction
> coefficients of the wheels <mu1> and <mu2> to something less than 1?
> also, make sure that in the version of gazebo you are running,
> contact.surface mode has "dContactApprox1" in it.
>
>        contact.surface.mode = dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
> dContactApprox1 | dContactMu2;
>
> John
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.txt
> > <http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world>
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We are working on a simulation model of an autonomous football table.
> We
> > > already build our model but we're struggling with the realism. We
> solved
> > > lot of problems but to this one, we can't find an answer to. Here is a
> > movie
> > > of the weird/unrealistic behavior:
> > >
> > > Movie:
> > http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/gazebo_tablesoccer.avi
> > >
> > > Has someone perhaps experienced similar problems or perhaps does
> someone
> > > want to take a look at our code because we're probably making trivial
> > > mistakes.
> > >
> > > Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Rein

> John Hsu, Ph.D.
> Senior Research Engineer
> Willow Garage Inc.
> +1-650-475-2809

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

Rein Appeldoorn
I checked my gazebo settings in /server/physics/ode/ODEPhysics.cc and they
were as follows:

contact.surface.mode = dContactSlip1 | dContactSlip2 |
                               dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
                               dContactBounce | dContactMu2 |
dContactApprox1;

So this can't be the problem in my opinion. The parameters for the
geometries of the table are as follows:

<mu1>0.3</mu1>
<mu2>0.3</mu2>
<mass>1e5</mass>

Any idea what we are doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rein

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> What do you mean with the friction coefficients of the "wheels"?
> And how do I check my Gazebo-settings if they are right?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rein
>

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rein,
>> Not sure if this will help, but have you tried reducing the friction
>> coefficients of the wheels <mu1> and <mu2> to something less than 1?
>> also, make sure that in the version of gazebo you are running,
>> contact.surface mode has "dContactApprox1" in it.
>>
>>        contact.surface.mode = dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
>> dContactApprox1 | dContactMu2;
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Code: http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.txt
>> > <http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world>

>> We
>> solved
>> > movie

>> > http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/gazebo_tablesoccer.avi

>> someone

>> --
>> John Hsu, Ph.D.
>> Senior Research Engineer
>> Willow Garage Inc.
>> +1-650-475-2809

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

John Hsu-2
ah, sorry, I just went back to see the video again, and apparently I saw the
wrong video earlier!

Ok, the bouncing table problem is most likely a problem with max contacts
specified.  I've seen this when max contacts is set too low for the mesh
involved.  What version of gazebo are you running?  can you attach or point
me to ODEPhysics.cc?

One way to fix this (not the best way) is, try putting a small box block
under each corner of your "wall" mesh.

John

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I checked my gazebo settings in /server/physics/ode/ODEPhysics.cc and they
> were as follows:
>
> contact.surface.mode = dContactSlip1 | dContactSlip2 |
>                               dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
>                               dContactBounce | dContactMu2 |
> dContactApprox1;
>
> So this can't be the problem in my opinion. The parameters for the
> geometries of the table are as follows:
>
> <mu1>0.3</mu1>
> <mu2>0.3</mu2>
> <mass>1e5</mass>
>
> Any idea what we are doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rein
>

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > John,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > What do you mean with the friction coefficients of the "wheels"?
> > And how do I check my Gazebo-settings if they are right?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rein
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM, John Hsu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Rein,
> >> Not sure if this will help, but have you tried reducing the friction
> >> coefficients of the wheels <mu1> and <mu2> to something less than 1?
> >> also, make sure that in the version of gazebo you are running,
> >> contact.surface mode has "dContactApprox1" in it.
> >>
> >>        contact.surface.mode = dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
> >> dContactApprox1 | dContactMu2;
> >>
> >> John

> table.
> >> We
> >> solved

> >> someone
> trivial

> >> --
> >> John Hsu, Ph.D.
> >> Senior Research Engineer
> >> Willow Garage Inc.
> >> +1-650-475-2809

John Hsu, Ph.D.
Senior Research Engineer
Willow Garage Inc.
+1-650-475-2809

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

Rein Appeldoorn
I'm using Gazebo version 0.9. This is because I had a problem with actuating
the hinges via the generic-actarray in Gazebo version 0.10. Therefore, I'm
using version 0.9 now.

I'm not using a wall mesh; the wall consist of multiple box geometries.

The movement of the table, what you saw in the movie, happens when rotating
the rod. This is weird because the static part of the table (walls) have the
following parameters:

<mu1>0.3</mu1>
<mu2>0.3</mu2>
<mass>1e5</mass>

I've added my ODEPhysics.cc and my .world-files:
http://80.56.19.206/files/ODEPhysics.cc
http://80.56.19.206/files/simulation_010.world (Gazebo 0.10)
http://80.56.19.206/files/simulation_090.world (Gazebo 0.09)

Thanks for responding!

Rein

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ah, sorry, I just went back to see the video again, and apparently I saw
> the
> wrong video earlier!
>
> Ok, the bouncing table problem is most likely a problem with max contacts
> specified.  I've seen this when max contacts is set too low for the mesh
> involved.  What version of gazebo are you running?  can you attach or point
> me to ODEPhysics.cc?
>
> One way to fix this (not the best way) is, try putting a small box block
> under each corner of your "wall" mesh.
>
> John
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I checked my gazebo settings in /server/physics/ode/ODEPhysics.cc and
> they
> > were as follows:
> >
> > contact.surface.mode = dContactSlip1 | dContactSlip2 |
> >                               dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
> >                               dContactBounce | dContactMu2 |
> > dContactApprox1;
> >
> > So this can't be the problem in my opinion. The parameters for the
> > geometries of the table are as follows:
> >
> > <mu1>0.3</mu1>
> > <mu2>0.3</mu2>
> > <mass>1e5</mass>
> >
> > Any idea what we are doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rein
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > John,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > >
> > > What do you mean with the friction coefficients of the "wheels"?
> > > And how do I check my Gazebo-settings if they are right?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Rein

> > table.
> is

> > trivial

> http://www.student.tue.nl/W/r.p.w.appeldoorn/simulation.world

> John Hsu, Ph.D.
> Senior Research Engineer
> Willow Garage Inc.
> +1-650-475-2809

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

John Hsu-2
Hi Rein,
does the strange behavior change at all when you increase/decrease mass of
the walls?
Have you tried off the trunk to see if this problem still exists?
lastly, can you attach the code you used to move the rods too?
thanks,
John

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > specified.  I've seen this when max contacts is set too low for the mesh
> > involved.  What version of gazebo are you running?  can you attach or
> point
> > me to ODEPhysics.cc?
> >
> > One way to fix this (not the best way) is, try putting a small box block
> > under each corner of your "wall" mesh.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I checked my gazebo settings in /server/physics/ode/ODEPhysics.cc and
> > they
> > > were as follows:
> > >
> > > contact.surface.mode = dContactSlip1 | dContactSlip2 |
> > >                               dContactSoftERP | dContactSoftCFM |
> > >                               dContactBounce | dContactMu2 |
> > > dContactApprox1;
> > >
> > > So this can't be the problem in my opinion. The parameters for the

John Hsu, Ph.D.
Senior Research Engineer
Willow Garage Inc.
+1-650-475-2809

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

Rein Appeldoorn
No, that's the weird fact, it doesn't change at all when I'm varying
different parameters like mass, friction etc.

What do you mean with "off the trunk"?

I attached the piece of code for moving the rods:
http://80.56.19.206/files/movingrodscode.txt

More and more, I start to think that my Gazebo isn't set-up properly. First
on 0.10, I got strange behavior when using the act-array interface. I
couldn't event rotate a single hinge. Now, on 0.9, other thinks occur which
aren't really explainable.

Is there a way to check if your Gazebo is set up properly?

Thanks again for helping me!

Rein

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > http://80.56.19.206/files/simulation_090.world (Gazebo 0.09)
> >
> > Thanks for responding!
> >
> > Rein
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM, John Hsu <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > ah, sorry, I just went back to see the video again, and apparently I
> saw
> > > the
> > > wrong video earlier!
> > >
> > > Ok, the bouncing table problem is most likely a problem with max
> contacts
> > > specified.  I've seen this when max contacts is set too low for the
> mesh
> > > involved.  What version of gazebo are you running?  can you attach or
> > point
> > > me to ODEPhysics.cc?
> > >
> > > One way to fix this (not the best way) is, try putting a small box

Re: Weird gazebo simulation

ximengzhu
Hi all,

I have a similar problem with the simulation of a modified pioneer on an
inclined plane. If I make a pioneer with a mass of 21 kg to crash against a
box of mass of 3000 kg, then the box starts rolling over the plane. My
suggestion is that the moment of inertia of all the objects is set to a very
low value (about 10e-10) and then even a small torque on an object cause it
to roll. The same happens to you when the rod rolls, so that it applies a
torque to the other objects (due to friction). Given the very low moment of
inertia of teh table, it starts rolling.
I even tried to set the inertia, but nothing changed.

I post here because I think the two problems are related.

I attach the files of my simulation.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20433489/gazebo/pioneer3d.model
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20433489/gazebo/pioneer3d.world

Any suggestions?
thanks in advance

Paolo

2011/6/16 Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Rein Appeldoorn <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm using Gazebo version 0.9. This is because I had a problem with
> > > actuating
> > > the hinges via the generic-actarray in Gazebo version 0.10. Therefore,
> > I'm
> > > using version 0.9 now.
> > >
> > > I'm not using a wall mesh; the wall consist of multiple box geometries.
> > >
> > > The movement of the table, what you saw in the movie, happens when
> > rotating
> > > the rod. This is weird because the static part of the table (walls)
> have
> > > the
> > > following parameters:
> > >
> > > <mu1>0.3</mu1>
> > > <mu2>0.3</mu2>
> > > <mass>1e5</mass>
> > >
> > > I've added my ODEPhysics.cc and my .world-files:

Gazebo video: visual-based autonomous navigation

Hemation

Hi guys,

I'd like to share with you a video of a visual-based navigation implementation using Gazebo and OpenCV. You can have a look at http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/wiki/Gazebo_screenshots or directly on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idELbYA0Q84