Suggestion: move configs to xml

smog zer
Hello all.

Player configuration files should be in xml.

I've been coding a modular visualization system for Player, and in the
development process i came to the problem of parsing configuration
files. I searched in the community for something that would take that
burden off me and I found that the solution was using gazebo's xml
configuration reader. I believe the community would have benefits in
switching to xml and this major version jump is the right time.

Advantages of moving to xml:
- Just one config system for P/S/G
- stage and gazebo sharing config files
- less maintenance
- release a xml configuration parser to the community as a separate
library (extra benefit of drawing more attention to P/S/G)
- transform the xml into another xml or other documents with xslt
- validate config with xsd (xml schema definition)
- (de)marshmalling
- move to a higher level
- easier to integrate with other tools like visual configuration
editors , RTAI (Real time application interface),  genom, vrml
- Robots are hierachical like xml and not flat
- Everything is xml these days, so xml also evolutes

To switch the configuration file to the xml format should be easy by
using the old parser  and using xmlwriter that comes with libxml2.
--
João Xavier
@ smogzer_at_gmail.com

Re: Suggestion: move configs to xml

Toby Collett
Hi,
Not fussed either way about wether we use current config or XML, but
comment re XML being nested like robots is largely irrelevant as unless
the internal structure of player was changed to use a nested strucutre
it would just confuse the issue.

less maintenance is definately an advantage

Also, what sort of visualisation system are you working on, I have also
been doing some work in this area
(http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~tcol036/?id=9b35c ) and would be
interested in hearing more about your work, do you have any screen
shots/papers etc?

Toby Collett

smog zer wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>Player configuration files should be in xml.
>
>I've been coding a modular visualization system for Player, and in the
>development process i came to the problem of parsing configuration
>files. I searched in the community for something that would take that
>burden off me and I found that the solution was using gazebo's xml
>configuration reader. I believe the community would have benefits in
>switching to xml and this major version jump is the right time.
>
>Advantages of moving to xml:
>- Just one config system for P/S/G
>- stage and gazebo sharing config files
>- less maintenance
>- release a xml configuration parser to the community as a separate
>library (extra benefit of drawing more attention to P/S/G)
>- transform the xml into another xml or other documents with xslt
>- validate config with xsd (xml schema definition)
>- (de)marshmalling
>- move to a higher level
>- easier to integrate with other tools like visual configuration
>editors , RTAI (Real time application interface),  genom, vrml
>- Robots are hierachical like xml and not flat
>- Everything is xml these days, so xml also evolutes
>
>To switch the configuration file to the xml format should be easy by
>using the old parser  and using xmlwriter that comes with libxml2.

Re: Suggestion: move configs to xml

smog zer
> Not fussed either way about wether we use current config or XML, but
> comment re XML being nested like robots is largely irrelevant as unless
> the internal structure of player was changed to use a nested strucutre
> it would just confuse the issue.

Hierarchical structures are needed when drawing a laser that is
positioned relatively to a robot. Laser that might have a webcam
sticked to it's top that makes the webcam relative to the laser...
might be confusing but it's more natural for me when designing a 3d
interface... draw the robot, then without reseting the position
getgeometry from laser rotate and translate the geometry, draw laser,
then getgeometry for camera draw camera... much more natural.

> less maintenance is definately an advantage
>
> Also, what sort of visualisation system are you working on, I have also
> been doing some work in this area
> (http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~tcol036/?id=9b35c ) and would be
> interested in hearing more about your work, do you have any screen
> shots/papers etc?

Old shots in http://miarn.cjb.net the new one looks better. But my
work doesn't have anything to do with AR. Maybe we in a near future we
can join our efforts.

Bye.
xml4ever ;)