Sonar device for player

freyzor
Hi,

I'm interested in the status of the sonar device for the gazebo.  I saw a
few posts on this mailing list where others where asking the same thing.

Was there a functional sonar device earlier?  if so what happened to it?

I made a simulated sonar using ogre and ogreopcode a while back for a
spatial mapping project.  I tried to use collision volumes to generete
contacts but found it inadequate since it only generated contacts along the
intersecting borders of the cone shape I used.  So I made a ray cast spead
in stead with much better results and returned the least distance found.

If there is no sonar device available I'm interested in making one based on
ray cast spread which can be configured depending on the requirements of the
simulation resolution and performance requirements.  From a single on-axis
ray cast to randomly distributed spherical spread based on sonar angle
possibly off-axis density decay. (trying to make it sound fancy :P).

what sould I be looking at for pointer regarding this?

regards,
Freyr

Re: Sonar device for player

Nate Koenig-4
Hello,

Sonar in Gazebo is not yet implemented, and your contribution would be
greatly appreciated.

As a starting point you should look at the Ray sensor
(gazebo/server/sensors/ray). This sensor class is used to simulate
laser beams. It will provide you with the general class structure for
your sonar sensor.

You will also need to create a libgazebo interface. You'll add the
interface to then of the gazebo.h file (gazebo/libgazebo/gazebo.h).
This file contains many examples, so you should be able to mostly
cut-and-paste.

Finally, you'll need to create a controller. A controller connects a
sensor (or actuator) to a libgazebo interface. Think of it as
interpreting the sensor data, and filling in the libgazebo iface.
Again there are plenty of examples in (gazebo/server/controllers).
Look at the laser interfaces for inspiration.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems. I'm more than happy to help.

Once you are done, you can submit a patch via the sourceforge patch
system (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=433166&group_id=42445&func=browse)

-nate

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Freyr Magnússon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in the status of the sonar device for the gazebo.  I saw a
> few posts on this mailing list where others where asking the same thing.
>
> Was there a functional sonar device earlier?  if so what happened to it?
>
> I made a simulated sonar using ogre and ogreopcode a while back for a
> spatial mapping project.  I tried to use collision volumes to generete
> contacts but found it inadequate since it only generated contacts along the
> intersecting borders of the cone shape I used.  So I made a ray cast spead
> in stead with much better results and returned the least distance found.
>
> If there is no sonar device available I'm interested in making one based on
> ray cast spread which can be configured depending on the requirements of the
> simulation resolution and performance requirements.  From a single on-axis
> ray cast to randomly distributed spherical spread based on sonar angle
> possibly off-axis density decay. (trying to make it sound fancy :P).
>
> what sould I be looking at for pointer regarding this?
>
> regards,
> Freyr

Re: Sonar device for player

freyzor
Hi Nate,

Thanks for the hints.  It seams that I should be able to create it from
based on the ray examples since it's mostly a matter of placement of the ray
"population". That and processing the parameters.
The output should look pretty much the same as the rangers.

Regands,
Freyr