Simulate gyroscope in gazebo

jonasl
Is there any way (or better a plugin ) to simulate a gyroscope in gazebo?

Jonas

Re: Simulate gyroscope in gazebo

Nate Koenig-4
A gyroscope might be possible. Do you want an actively spinning
object, or just a sensor that measures/maintains orientation?

-nate

On 10/18/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way (or better a plugin ) to simulate a gyroscope in gazebo?
>
> Jonas

Re: Simulate gyroscope in gazebo

jonasl

The object does not have to spin. I only need orientation and drift.
Orientation seems to be no problem, I got this by converting the Global Pose Quaternion.
But drift seems to be a problem, doesn't it?

Jonas

A gyroscope might be possible. Do you want an actively spinning
object, or just a sensor that measures/maintains orientation?

-nate

On 10/18/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way (or better a plugin ) to simulate a gyroscope in gazebo?
>
> Jonas

Re: Simulate gyroscope in gazebo

Nate Koenig-4
Yeah, the drift does seem to be a problem. Are there any mathematical
models for drift, or simple ways to estimate it? If all else fails,
maybe adding a little gaussian noise will do the trick. However, take
that with a grain of salt, I'm no expert on gyroscopes.

-nate

On 10/23/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The object does not have to spin. I only need orientation and drift.
> Orientation seems to be no problem, I got this by converting the Global Pose Quaternion.
> But drift seems to be a problem, doesn't it?
>
> Jonas

Hello again :-)
My quaternion to angle conversion seemed to be completely wrong.
Does anybody know how to convert the Quaternion from Body->GetAngularVel() to degrees / second?
I tried a lot of formulas, but they all don't work. The output becomes smaller and bigger although I run it with a constant rotation speed.
So the angular velocity also has to be more or less constant, doesn't it?

Thanks in advance

Jonas
Yeah, the drift does seem to be a problem. Are there any mathematical
models for drift, or simple ways to estimate it? If all else fails,
maybe adding a little gaussian noise will do the trick. However, take
that with a grain of salt, I'm no expert on gyroscopes.

-nate

On 10/23/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The object does not have to spin. I only need orientation and drift.
> Orientation seems to be no problem, I got this by converting the Global Pose Quaternion.
> But drift seems to be a problem, doesn't it?
>
> Jonas

Hello,

There is a function in gazebo's quaternion class to convert to Euler
angles. It might be easier to work with.

-nate

On 10/29/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again :-)
> My quaternion to angle conversion seemed to be completely wrong.
> Does anybody know how to convert the Quaternion from Body->GetAngularVel() to degrees / second?
> I tried a lot of formulas, but they all don't work. The output becomes smaller and bigger although I run it with a constant rotation speed.
> So the angular velocity also has to be more or less constant, doesn't it?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jonas

I tried this, but it didn't work.
With a constant turning speed (that should propably result in a more or less constant angular velocity) I get values from -2 over 0 to 2.
In my opinion angular velocity is, how much the angle on a specific axis changes in time. So the vaules should raise and then, stay constant.
The values I get are sinus-like.

Jonas
-
There is a function in gazebo's quaternion class to convert to Euler
angles. It might be easier to work with.

-nate

On 10/29/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again :-)
> My quaternion to angle conversion seemed to be completely wrong.
> Does anybody know how to convert the Quaternion from Body->GetAngularVel() to degrees / second?
> I tried a lot of formulas, but they all don't work. The output becomes smaller and bigger although I run it with a constant rotation speed.
> So the angular velocity also has to be more or less constant, doesn't it?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jonas

Can you provide some more information? What type of geometry are your
using? And exactly what function are you using to get/set the angular
velocity?

-nate

On 10/29/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried this, but it didn't work.
> With a constant turning speed (that should propably result in a more or less constant angular velocity) I get values from -2 over 0 to 2.
> In my opinion angular velocity is, how much the angle on a specific axis changes in time. So the vaules should raise and then, stay constant.
> The values I get are sinus-like.
>
> Jonas
> -

I am using a simple cylinder and the function GetAngularVelocity from the body (not from the cylinder geom):
GzQuatern angVel= this->body->GetAngularVel();
GzVector eulers = GzQuaternToEuler(angVel);
printf("%f \n", eulers.z); returns values from -3.14 to +3.14 and they change in this spectrum even on a constant turning speed.
I don't set the angular velocity, because it's the global variable. I think this is set automatically.

The body is initialized like this:
this->body = new Body( this->world );
this->AddBody(this->body, true);

Jonas

Well, as far as I can see GetAngularVelocity returns something, but nothing I can use.
In the end I just used the global pose to calculate the angular velocity. I should have done this earlier, it's three lines of code ;-)
If anyone is interested in the gyro plugin, just ask me.
Thanks at all for your help!

Yes, I would be interested. Could you submit a patch?

Thanks for all the work.

-nate

On 11/1/07, Jonas Lanvers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, as far as I can see GetAngularVelocity returns something, but nothing I can use.
> In the end I just used the global pose to calculate the angular velocity. I should have done this earlier, it's three lines of code ;-)
> If anyone is interested in the gyro plugin, just ask me.
> Thanks at all for your help!

morrowsend

I realize this thread is ancient, but I'm very interested in seeing the code
used here.  I can't seem to find if it was ever added to the CVS.