SF Migration Update

Rich Mattes-2
Hi all,

Quick progress report on the SF -> Github migration effort.

The Player repository, as well as the Papers and Website repositories,
have been exported from SVN and uploaded to github.  There is one snag -
some of the email addresses in the author file were wrong when I
exported the Player code, and I didn't catch it until after I pushed it
to github.  Fixing that error means re-writing the git history and force
pushing over top of the exisitng repository.  This is not great, but
since the repository hasn't really been advertised yet I'm going to just
push the fixed history and get it over with.  Any forked repositories
and clones will have to fetch the new history and do similar.  I think
there's only one fork at the moment (Kevin's) so the impact should be
small.  If nobody has any issues with this, I'll do it this weekend.

I checked the bug and patch trackers on Sourceforge, and there aren't
many open issues left for Player.  It looks like it's easy enough to
import the issues to github[1].  I'll run the import script and then
triage any remaining issues (there are a few that belong to Stage and
Gazebo that won't make sense in the new Player-only tracker.)

I haven't made much headway on the site/documentation issues, other than
learning how ReadTheDocs and sphinx work.  That means there's still a
few ways the site could go:
1. host on github, combine site and wiki, re-write site using Jekyll
(seems like a blog platform, maybe not a good fit)
2. host on github, combine site and wiki, re-write site using Doxygen or
sphinx & import generated html
3. host on ReadTheDocs, combine site and wiki, re-write site using sphinx
4. host privately, keep site and wiki as-is
5. host privately, merge site into wiki, host wiki
6. host privately, re-write site/wiki however we want

I do like the idea of combining the site and the wiki, as I always felt
having both was a bit redundant.  In the past I was starting to move the
FAQ and tutorials from the static site to the wiki, so that there was
less overlap and so they could be improved by anyone.  Unfortunately
re-writing the site will complicate any redirecting from the SF hosting
location.  I am leaning towards option 2, but would like to hear if
anyone has any other opinions.

Mailing lists are tricky.  It's possible to export the mailing SF list
history from mailman.  We could start a new pair of mailing lists at
google groups, and there's a hacky way to import the existing history
there[2].  If we go the self-hosting route, we could set up our own
mailman instance and import the entire history.  I think google groups
would be easiest.

So next steps are:
- Push updated Player history with corrected email addresses
- Export SF bug tracker info, import issues to github
- Determine hosting solution for site and mailing list
    - Import/Export mailing lists
    - Merge site & wiki, host combined site
- Announce migration and new site

Rich

[1] https://github.com/cmungall/gosf2github
[2] https://github.com/wojdyr/fityk/wiki/MigrationToGoogleGroups

Re: SF Migration Update

Fred Labrosse
Hi Rich and all,

Great to see movement!

I have never really used github and the like (I have stayed with CVS for very long and then moved to svn and have stayed with it since…).

I guess this change means that we will have to create new “working copies” (probably not the correct term in github world) and merge our mods into it from the SF working copy?  Correct?

Then I’ll have to figure out how to create patches in the github world.

Cheers,

Fred

> [...]
> less overlap and so they could be improved by anyone.  Unfortunately
> re-writing the site will complicate any redirecting from the SF hosting
> location.  I am leaning towards option 2, but would like to hear if
> anyone has any other opinions.
>
> Mailing lists are tricky.  It's possible to export the mailing SF list
> history from mailman.  We could start a new pair of mailing lists at
> google groups, and there's a hacky way to import the existing history
> there[2].  If we go the self-hosting route, we could set up our own
> mailman instance and import the entire history.  I think google groups
> would be easiest.
>
> So next steps are:
> - Push updated Player history with corrected email addresses
> - Export SF bug tracker info, import issues to github
> - Determine hosting solution for site and mailing list

OK it's done, following the instructions at [1]. If you've got a fork of
the repository, you'll either need to delete and re-fork it, or try to
sync your fork's history to the new history upstream.  And your local
clones of the repositories will need to be fixed as well.

As far as patches go, pull requests like the one for the swig fixes are
a good way to submit changes.  Bascially, create a branch in your local
repository for a new feature, and once you're happy push that branch to
your forked github repository and open a pull request.  You can also get
text diffs using the 'git diff' and 'git format-patch' commands.

I'm pretty sure github also lets you check out repositories through svn
and interact with them that way, but I've never tried it.

Rich

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/changing-author-info/

> [...]
>> less overlap and so they could be improved by anyone.  Unfortunately
>> re-writing the site will complicate any redirecting from the SF hosting
>> location.  I am leaning towards option 2, but would like to hear if
>> anyone has any other opinions.
>>
>> Mailing lists are tricky.  It's possible to export the mailing SF list
>> history from mailman.  We could start a new pair of mailing lists at
>> google groups, and there's a hacky way to import the existing history
>> there[2].  If we go the self-hosting route, we could set up our own
>> mailman instance and import the entire history.  I think google groups
>> would be easiest.
>>
>> So next steps are:
>> - Push updated Player history with corrected email addresses
>> - Export SF bug tracker info, import issues to github
>> - Determine hosting solution for site and mailing list

Geoffrey Biggs-3
Hi Rich,

Great work on the migration so far.

An option for hosting that isn't in your list is using github's wiki feature. Its page display is very narrow, but it could work.

I like the idea of combining the site and wiki. We could just have a single static landing page done through Jekyll if we want to look fancy, and redirect visitors to the wiki for further information.

Geoff

Re: SF Migration Update

Geoffrey Biggs-3
Hi Fred (and anyone else who's new to Git)

The Git book is a good place to start. It explains the basic concepts of Git, which are different from SVN, and many common use cases.

http://git-scm.com/book

Geoff

> [...]

> less overlap and so they could be improved by anyone.  Unfortunately
> re-writing the site will complicate any redirecting from the SF hosting
> location.  I am leaning towards option 2, but would like to hear if
> anyone has any other opinions.
>
> Mailing lists are tricky.  It's possible to export the mailing SF list
> history from mailman.  We could start a new pair of mailing lists at
> google groups, and there's a hacky way to import the existing history
> there[2].  If we go the self-hosting route, we could set up our own
> mailman instance and import the entire history.  I think google groups
> would be easiest.
>
> So next steps are:
> - Push updated Player history with corrected email addresses
> - Export SF bug tracker info, import issues to github
> - Determine hosting solution for site and mailing list

All,

More than a year later, I'm trying to get the latest player, and I don't
know where from.  The last message about that seems to indicate that the
move from SF to github has been done, but I can't find it.  Searching
for player on google or github is not very useful!

Any pointer please?

Cheers,

Fred

PS. So far I have used my SF (svn) version that I carry from computer to
computer, with my mods in, but tried to get a fresh copy with perhaps
some updates.

On 28/06/15 17:16, Rich Mattes wrote:

> [...]
>>> less overlap and so they could be improved by anyone.  Unfortunately
>>> re-writing the site will complicate any redirecting from the SF hosting
>>> location.  I am leaning towards option 2, but would like to hear if
>>> anyone has any other opinions.
>>>
>>> Mailing lists are tricky.  It's possible to export the mailing SF list
>>> history from mailman.  We could start a new pair of mailing lists at
>>> google groups, and there's a hacky way to import the existing history
>>> there[2].  If we go the self-hosting route, we could set up our own
>>> mailman instance and import the entire history.  I think google groups
>>> would be easiest.
>>>
>>> So next steps are:
>>> - Push updated Player history with corrected email addresses
>>> - Export SF bug tracker info, import issues to github
>>> - Determine hosting solution for site and mailing list

Un o’r 4 prifysgol uchaf yn y DU a’r orau yng Nghymru am fodlonrwydd myfyrwyr.
(Arolwg Cenedlaethol y Myfyrwyr 2016)
www.aber.ac.uk

Top 4 UK university and best in Wales for student satisfaction
(National Student Survey 2016)
www.aber.ac.uk

Re: SF Migration Update

Toby Collett-3
This should be the latest code,
https://github.com/playerproject/player

- Toby

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 at 05:49 Fred Labrosse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> there[2].  If we go the self-hosting route, we could set up our own
>>> mailman instance and import the entire history.  I think google groups
>>> would be easiest.
>>>
>>> So next steps are:
>>> - Push updated Player history with corrected email addresses
>>> - Export SF bug tracker info, import issues to github
>>> - Determine hosting solution for site and mailing list
>>>     - Import/Export mailing lists
>>>     - Merge site & wiki, host combined site
>>> - Announce migration and new site
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/cmungall/gosf2github
>>> [2] https://github.com/wojdyr/fityk/wiki/MigrationToGoogleGroups

Un o’r 4 prifysgol uchaf yn y DU a’r orau yng Nghymru am fodlonrwydd myfyrwyr.
(Arolwg Cenedlaethol y Myfyrwyr 2016)
www.aber.ac.uk

Top 4 UK university and best in Wales for student satisfaction

Hi Fred,

The latest Player code is at github:

https://github.com/playerproject/player

There's not a whole lot of changes since the migration from gitbub, but
there have been many changes since 3.0.2 was released.  I'm going to try
to create a 3.1.0 release before the end of the year that includes all
of the changes made since 3.0.2, a lot of which were fixes to build
against newer versions of dependent libraries.

As far as the rest of the migration: at this point, I don't think it's
worth the effort to try to migrate all of the closed issues from
SourceForge to github.  There are only a couple of Player issues still
open, which can be migrated manually.  The website does need to be
updated though, to point to the new github repository for the Player
code and issue tracker.  I'm not entirely sure what to do with the wiki
and website - they still work fine hosted at SourceForge, but there may
be a migration path to github.  I'll try to update the website in the
coming weeks.

Rich

On 11/04/2016 11:16 AM, Fred Labrosse wrote:

> All,
>
> More than a year later, I'm trying to get the latest player, and I don't
> know where from.  The last message about that seems to indicate that the
> move from SF to github has been done, but I can't find it.  Searching
> for player on google or github is not very useful!
>
> Any pointer please?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred
>
> PS. So far I have used my SF (svn) version that I carry from computer to
> computer, with my mods in, but tried to get a fresh copy with perhaps
> some updates.
>
> On 28/06/15 17:16, Rich Mattes wrote:
>> OK it's done, following the instructions at [1]. If you've got a fork of
>> the repository, you'll either need to delete and re-fork it, or try to
>> sync your fork's history to the new history upstream.  And your local
>> clones of the repositories will need to be fixed as well.
>>
>> As far as patches go, pull requests like the one for the swig fixes are
>> a good way to submit changes.  Bascially, create a branch in your local
>> repository for a new feature, and once you're happy push that branch to
>> your forked github repository and open a pull request.  You can also get
>> text diffs using the 'git diff' and 'git format-patch' commands.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure github also lets you check out repositories through svn
>> and interact with them that way, but I've never tried it.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> [1] https://help.github.com/articles/changing-author-info/
>>
>>> Hi Rich and all,
>>>
>>> Great to see movement!
>>>
>>> I have never really used github and the like (I have stayed with CVS for very long and then moved to svn and have stayed with it since…).
>>>
>>> I guess this change means that we will have to create new “working copies” (probably not the correct term in github world) and merge our mods into it from the SF working copy?  Correct?
>>>
>>> Then I’ll have to figure out how to create patches in the github world.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Fred

> Un o’r 4 prifysgol uchaf yn y DU a’r orau yng Nghymru am fodlonrwydd myfyrwyr.
> (Arolwg Cenedlaethol y Myfyrwyr 2016)
> www.aber.ac.uk
>
> Top 4 UK university and best in Wales for student satisfaction
> (National Student Survey 2016)
> www.aber.ac.uk

Re: SF Migration Update

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since my last progress update, mostly because
the 2015 and 2016 have been very busy for me (I got my master's degree,
bought a house, and got married within the course of 12 months.)  Things
have since slowed down for me a little bit, and I'm finally able to
dedicate a little more time to the Player project efforts.

I'm going to reply inline to note the progress on individual items:

On 06/27/2015 01:03 PM, Rich Mattes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick progress report on the SF -> Github migration effort.
>
> The Player repository, as well as the Papers and Website repositories,
> have been exported from SVN and uploaded to github.  There is one snag -
> some of the email addresses in the author file were wrong when I
> exported the Player code, and I didn't catch it until after I pushed it
> to github.  Fixing that error means re-writing the git history and force
> pushing over top of the exisitng repository.  This is not great, but
> since the repository hasn't really been advertised yet I'm going to just
> push the fixed history and get it over with.  Any forked repositories
> and clones will have to fetch the new history and do similar.  I think
> there's only one fork at the moment (Kevin's) so the impact should be
> small.  If nobody has any issues with this, I'll do it this weekend.

This was done, and I've pushed a couple of updates to the github repo
since.  The release-3-1-patches branch will be the staging ground for
Player-3.1 release.

> I checked the bug and patch trackers on Sourceforge, and there aren't
> many open issues left for Player.  It looks like it's easy enough to
> import the issues to github[1].  I'll run the import script and then
> triage any remaining issues (there are a few that belong to Stage and
> Gazebo that won't make sense in the new Player-only tracker.)

After more thought, I think it's not really worth it to try to import
all of the closed SourceForge issues to GitHub.  I made new issues for
the couple that were open against Player.  I can make the ticket
trackers read-only, and modify the main page to redirect people to github.

> I haven't made much headway on the site/documentation issues, other than
> learning how ReadTheDocs and sphinx work.  That means there's still a
> few ways the site could go:
> 1. host on github, combine site and wiki, re-write site using Jekyll
> (seems like a blog platform, maybe not a good fit)
> 2. host on github, combine site and wiki, re-write site using Doxygen or
> sphinx & import generated html
> 3. host on ReadTheDocs, combine site and wiki, re-write site using sphinx
> 4. host privately, keep site and wiki as-is
> 5. host privately, merge site into wiki, host wiki
> 6. host privately, re-write site/wiki however we want

I spent this morning working on this, and have managed to create a
Jekyll site for github pages that can serve as the new project site.
I'm still working on pulling in the content from the wiki and original site.

Check it out at https://playerproject.github.io/

I think it will be possible to update the SF site to redirect to the new
github site, by adding redirect headers to the existing site's headers.
I can probably add php to detect which page is being requested, and
redirecting to the appropriate new page.

> I do like the idea of combining the site and the wiki, as I always felt
> having both was a bit redundant.  In the past I was starting to move the
> FAQ and tutorials from the static site to the wiki, so that there was
> less overlap and so they could be improved by anyone.  Unfortunately
> re-writing the site will complicate any redirecting from the SF hosting
> location.  I am leaning towards option 2, but would like to hear if
> anyone has any other opinions.

I'm going to try to move all of the general information about the
project to the player project github site.  I'm thinking about using the
github wiki for Player to put player-specific documentation
(build/install instructions, etc.) and linking them from the main site.
I'm also going to put the doxygen docs in the Player gh-pages branch,
similar to rtv.github.io/stage.

> Mailing lists are tricky.  It's possible to export the mailing SF list
> history from mailman.  We could start a new pair of mailing lists at
> google groups, and there's a hacky way to import the existing history
> there[2].  If we go the self-hosting route, we could set up our own
> mailman instance and import the entire history.  I think google groups
> would be easiest.

No progress here - mailing lists are still on SF.

> So next steps are:
> - Push updated Player history with corrected email addresses
Check
> - Export SF bug tracker info, import issues to github
I'm going to manually copy any open bugs that are left, and close them
on SF with a link to GH
> - Determine hosting solution for site and mailing list
>    - Import/Export mailing lists
No progress yet
>    - Merge site & wiki, host combined site
In progress
> - Announce migration and new site
Will do once I'm done importing content to the new website and wiki.

Re: SF Migration Update

Geoffrey Biggs-3
Hi Rich,

Congratulations on two of your big events! I'll leave congratulations on getting a huge loan until it's a little smaller...

Thanks for your dedication to keeping Player going and available to all. It's a lot of work, and I think we all really appreciate your hard work.

Geoff