Running valgrind

Fred Labrosse
All,

One of my programs has, I think, a memory issue.  I don't know where this
is (probably in someone else's code I'm using ;-), so I'm trying to run it
through valgrind, which makes it run *very* slowly...

My program is a player client.  Usually, after a while, I get:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'PlayerCC::PlayerError'

There is nothing else, neither from my client nor from the server, which I
run with "-d 9".  The player server does not crash.

Any idea what can cause this and how I can make it more verbose?

Cheers,

Fred

Re: Running valgrind

Geoffrey Biggs-3
Try running it in gdb and getting a stack trace (using the bt command) when it crashes.

Geoff

Re: Running valgrind

Fred Labrosse
Hi Geoff,

Tried that.  In gdb it fails in my code (where I'm having the problem that
I don't understand...).  It does not fail with the PlayerError, which makes
me think that the PlayerError is a timing issue (only happens when running
valgrind).

Fred

On Monday 15 June 2015 14:57:11 BiggsGeoffrey wrote:

> Try running it in gdb and getting a stack trace (using the bt command)
> when it crashes.
>
> Geoff

Re: Running valgrind

Rich Mattes-2
Hi Fred,

It could be a timing issue.  libplayerc has a hard-coded 5 second
timeout value for client requests.

All of the playercc exceptions contain information about where they
came, so you should modify your client to run in a try/catch loop to
catch the PlayerCC::PlayerError exception.  From there you can write it
to the console and see what happened and where it came from.

Rich