Question regarding how to use new version of Gazebo with Player

ssw

Question regarding how to use new version of Gazebo with Player

ssw
Hi everyone,

The way I used older versions of Gazebo was the following:

1) In terminal #1..:
> gazebo foo.world

2) In terminal #2..:
> robot-player foo.cfg

3) In terminal #3..:
> ./run_robot_program_written_in_c

So this would run my C code which moved the virtual robot, etc...

What I am wondering is that how do you accomplish this same task in the new
version of Gazebo by Willow Garage?

In the quick start guide it talks about gzserver and gzclient, but I can't
figure how to do the same thing as I described in the first part of this
question.

If anyone has any guidance with this I would greatly welcome your help.

Thanks, and cheers.

Re: Question regarding how to use new version of Gazebo with Player

Allen, Hunter
The issue is that the willow garage gazebo is for ROS, not player. I recommend you take a look at it. It's not the easiest task, but ROS is pretty nice once you have used it.

Or, use the one that Willie garage hasn't touched.

Good luck,
-Hunter A.
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 25, 2012, at 1:21 PM, Shawn Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The way I used older versions of Gazebo was the following:
>
> 1) In terminal #1..:
>> gazebo foo.world
>
> 2) In terminal #2..:
>> robot-player foo.cfg
>
> 3) In terminal #3..:
>> ./run_robot_program_written_in_c
>

> So this would run my C code which moved the virtual robot, etc...
>
> What I am wondering is that how do you accomplish this same task in the new
> version of Gazebo by Willow Garage?
>
> In the quick start guide it talks about gzserver and gzclient, but I can't
> figure how to do the same thing as I described in the first part of this
> question.
>
> If anyone has any guidance with this I would greatly welcome your help.
>
> Thanks, and cheers.

Re: Question regarding how to use new version of Gazebo with Player

Nate Koenig
Gazebo is not tied to Willow Garage and ROS.

However, Willow Garage heavily supports Gazebo, so ROS support has
been more of a priority for Gazebo. We have begun fixing up the Player
interface to Gazebo. This effort will likely take a few more weeks. We
are always looking for help. Shoot me an email if you want to
contribute to the Gazebo project.

-nate