Problem with simplecar.world

Timothy Chan-4
Hi all,

I have Gazebo 0.9.0 running on ubunto 8.10. When I try one of the examples,
simplecar.world, I get an error. The Gazebo gui opens up and then closes
after a moment, and this is what the terminal says:

gazebo simplecar.world

Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 0.9.0

Part of the Player/Stage Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net].

Copyright (C) 2003 Nate Koenig, Andrew Howard, and contributors.

Released under the GNU General Public License.

models/simplecar.model:18: namespace error : Namespace prefix controller on
steering_position2d is not defined <controller:steering_position2d name="a
car">

                                             ^

models/simplecar.model:43: namespace error : Namespace prefix interface on
position is not defined

   <interface:position name="position_iface_0"/>

                                              ^
[/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:103]

   Gazebo Path[/usr/local/share/gazebo]

[/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:115]

   Ogre Path[/usr/local/lib/OGRE]

creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0

creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/simulation.default 112 33842332 creating
/tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/factory.default 112 410188 creating
/tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.default 112 1630256 creating
/tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.plane1_model 112 1630256
[/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/sensors/Sensor.cc:163]

   cam1_sensor sensor has no controller.

creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.cam1_model 112 1630256

ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "bNormalizationResult" failed in

_dNormalize3() [../../../include/ode/odemath.h] Aborted

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

Peter Nordin-2
Hello I am having the same problem as you (except for all the namespace
errors).
I am trying to use the hinge2 joints in a model that a have created
myself. But I get this error:

ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "bNormalizationResult" failed in
_dNormalize3() [../../../include/ode/odemath.h]
Aborted

I also get the same error when trying the simplecar .world example. The
simplecar.model also uses hinge2 joints for its front wheels (so that
you can turn).  I have been trying to tweak hinge properties to make it
work, but so far I have been unsuccessful.
Hinge joints with one axis and ball joints have no problems.

Could it be a Gazebo or ODE bug? Or do you have to tweak your hinge and
wheel properties to make it work?
I am running the latest Gazebo SVN with ode-0.11.

/Peter

Timothy Chan wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have Gazebo 0.9.0 running on ubunto 8.10. When I try one of the examples,
> simplecar.world, I get an error. The Gazebo gui opens up and then closes
> after a moment, and this is what the terminal says:
>

> gazebo simplecar.world
>
> Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 0.9.0
>

> Part of the Player/Stage Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net].
>
> Copyright (C) 2003 Nate Koenig, Andrew Howard, and contributors.
>
> Released under the GNU General Public License.
>

> models/simplecar.model:18: namespace error : Namespace prefix controller on
> steering_position2d is not defined <controller:steering_position2d name="a
> car">
>
>                                              ^
>
> models/simplecar.model:43: namespace error : Namespace prefix interface on
> position is not defined
>
>    <interface:position name="position_iface_0"/>
>
>                                               ^
> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:103]
>
>    Gazebo Path[/usr/local/share/gazebo]
>
> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:115]
>
>    Ogre Path[/usr/local/lib/OGRE]
>
> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0
>
> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/simulation.default 112 33842332 creating
> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/factory.default 112 410188 creating
> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.default 112 1630256 creating
> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.plane1_model 112 1630256
> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/sensors/Sensor.cc:163]
>
>    cam1_sensor sensor has no controller.
>
> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.cam1_model 112 1630256
>

> ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "bNormalizationResult" failed in
>
> _dNormalize3() [../../../include/ode/odemath.h] Aborted

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

Jason Allen-5
> Hello I am having the same problem as you (except for all the

> namespace
> errors).
> I am trying to use the hinge2 joints in a model that a have created
> myself. But I get this error:
>
> ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "bNormalizationResult" failed in
> _dNormalize3() [../../../include/ode/odemath.h]
> Aborted
>
> I also get the same error when trying the simplecar .world example.
> The
> simplecar.model also uses hinge2 joints for its front wheels (so that
> you can turn).  I have been trying to tweak hinge properties to
> make it
> work, but so far I have been unsuccessful.
> Hinge joints with one axis and ball joints have no problems.
>
> Could it be a Gazebo or ODE bug? Or do you have to tweak your hinge
> and
> wheel properties to make it work?
> I am running the latest Gazebo SVN with ode-0.11.
>
> /Peter
Hello Peter,

I had the same problem with file simplecar.world.  It appears this
may be an error in file simplecar.model itself.

In the left_front_wheel_hinge and right_front_wheel_hinge joints, the
values of <body1></body1> and <body2></body2> are reversed.  For both
joints, <body1></body1> should be the corresponding wheel, and the
<body2></body2> should be "chassis_body", as it is for the
left_rear_wheel_hinge and right_rear_wheel_hinge joints, which are in
order of <body2></body2>..<body1></body1>.

This doesn't quite agree with the ODE wiki, which states that for
this type of joint (hinge2), <axis1></axis1> is specified relative to
<body1></body1>, so I'm not sure what the problem is:
28Joint_Types_and_Functions%29#Hinge-2

I've tried re-writing file simplecar.model with no success, but
perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

With this change, the worldfile loads and Gazebo is successfully
initialized.  A patch for this specific problem is attached, and has
been submitted (#2934693).

I realize this is months later, but perhaps this will help the next
person who has this problem.

Regards,
J. C. Allen

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

Jason Allen-5
> Hi all,

> I have Gazebo 0.9.0 running on ubunto 8.10. When I try one of the
> examples,
> simplecar.world, I get an error. The Gazebo gui opens up and then
> closes
> after a moment, and this is what the terminal says:
>
> gazebo simplecar.world
> Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 0.9.0
> Part of the Player/Stage Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net].
> Copyright (C) 2003 Nate Koenig, Andrew Howard, and contributors.
> Released under the GNU General Public License.
>
> models/simplecar.model:18: namespace error : Namespace prefix
> controller on
> steering_position2d is not defined <controller:steering_position2d
> name="a
> car">
>                                              ^
> models/simplecar.model:43: namespace error : Namespace prefix
> interface on
> position is not defined
>    <interface:position name="position_iface_0"/>
>
>                                               ^
> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:103]
>    Gazebo Path[/usr/local/share/gazebo]
> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:115]
>    Ogre Path[/usr/local/lib/OGRE]
> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0
> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/simulation.default 112 33842332
> creating
> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/factory.default 112 410188 creating
> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.default 112 1630256 creating
> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.plane1_model 112 1630256
> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/sensors/Sensor.cc:163]
>    cam1_sensor sensor has no controller.
> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.cam1_model 112 1630256
>
> ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "bNormalizationResult" failed in
>
> _dNormalize3() [../../../include/ode/odemath.h] Aborted
Hello Timothy,

I had the same problem with file simplecar.world, which I traced to
file simplecar.model.  It appears this is an error in file
simplecar.model itself.

The required namespaces are not included in file simplecar.model.

A patch for this specific problem is attached, and has been
submitted.  A patch for the "ODE INTERNAL ERROR" was also submitted.

I realize this is months later, but perhaps this will help the next
person who has this problem.

Regards,
J. C. Allen

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

John Hsu-2
Hi,
Thanks for the patches :) I checked in some fixes in r8514 for
simplecar.world, please let me know if that takes care of the namespace
undefined and cam1_sensor missing controller issues.
John

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Jason Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>>
>> I have Gazebo 0.9.0 running on ubunto 8.10. When I try one of the
>> examples,
>> simplecar.world, I get an error. The Gazebo gui opens up and then closes
>> after a moment, and this is what the terminal says:
>>
>> gazebo simplecar.world
>> Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 0.9.0
>> Part of the Player/Stage Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net].
>> Copyright (C) 2003 Nate Koenig, Andrew Howard, and contributors.
>> Released under the GNU General Public License.
>>
>> models/simplecar.model:18: namespace error : Namespace prefix controller
>> on
>> steering_position2d is not defined <controller:steering_position2d name="a
>> car">
>>                                             ^
>> models/simplecar.model:43: namespace error : Namespace prefix interface on
>> position is not defined
>>   <interface:position name="position_iface_0"/>
>>
>>                                              ^
>> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:103]
>>   Gazebo Path[/usr/local/share/gazebo]
>> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/GazeboConfig.cc:115]
>>   Ogre Path[/usr/local/lib/OGRE]
>> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0
>> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/simulation.default 112 33842332 creating
>> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/factory.default 112 410188 creating
>> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.default 112 1630256 creating
>> /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.plane1_model 112 1630256
>> [/home/timchan/gazebo-0.9.0/server/sensors/Sensor.cc:163]
>>   cam1_sensor sensor has no controller.
>> creating /tmp/gazebo-timchan-0/graphics3d.cam1_model 112 1630256
>>
>> ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "bNormalizationResult" failed in
>>
>> _dNormalize3() [../../../include/ode/odemath.h] Aborted
>>

> Hello Timothy,
>
> I had the same problem with file simplecar.world, which I traced to file
> simplecar.model.  It appears this is an error in file simplecar.model
> itself.
>
> The required namespaces are not included in file simplecar.model.
>
> A patch for this specific problem is attached, and has been submitted.  A
> patch for the "ODE INTERNAL ERROR" was also submitted.
>
> I realize this is months later, but perhaps this will help the next person
> who has this problem.
>
> Regards,
> J. C. Allen

> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important issues
> through
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

Jason Allen-5
> Thanks for the patches :) I checked in some fixes in r8514 for
> simplecar.world, please let me know if that takes care of the
> namespace
> undefined and cam1_sensor missing controller issues.
> John

Hello John,

The change to file simplecar.world appears to have resolved the
cam1_sensor missing controller issue in that file.

The change to file simplecar.model appears to have resolved the
missing controller and interface issues in that file.

Attempts to run simplecar.world fail due to the bNormalizationResult
error originally reported.  As noted, if I reverse the order of
bodies in the left_front_wheel_hinge and right_front_wheel_hinge
joints, Gazebo will load the worldfile successfully, but I haven't
tried controlling it through playerv, and don't know if that will be
successful or why it doesn't conform to ODE's expectations for this
kind of joint.

Regards,
J. C. Allen

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

John Hsu-2
Hi,
I can run the simple car demo without problems on my machine, I've seen
bNormalizationResult in the past due to float/double inconsistency between
ode and gazebo.  What I do is I compile ode with the following flags:

CFG_OPTIONS = --with-trimesh=opcode --enable-new-trimesh --disable-demos
--enable-shared --with-arch=nocona --enable-release --enable-malloc
--enable-ou --disable-asserts --with-pic

and make sure ode-config generated flags, e.g.

-I/u/johnhsu/projects/pr2-main/pkg/physics_ode/opende/opende/include
-DdSINGLE
-Wl,-rpath,/u/johnhsu/projects/pr2-main/pkg/physics_ode/opende/opende/lib
-L/u/johnhsu/projects/pr2-main/pkg/physics_ode/opende/opende/lib -lode

are passed to gazebo.

If you do compile ode with --enable-doluble, you will get something with
-DdDOUBLE from ode-config.

p.s. You can always install ros <http://ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo> and
get a supported combination of the two if you're working on robotic systems
:)
John

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Jason Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thanks for the patches :) I checked in some fixes in r8514 for
> > simplecar.world, please let me know if that takes care of the
> > namespace
> > undefined and cam1_sensor missing controller issues.
> > John
>
> Hello John,
>
> The change to file simplecar.world appears to have resolved the
> cam1_sensor missing controller issue in that file.
>
> The change to file simplecar.model appears to have resolved the
> missing controller and interface issues in that file.
>
> Attempts to run simplecar.world fail due to the bNormalizationResult
> error originally reported.  As noted, if I reverse the order of
> bodies in the left_front_wheel_hinge and right_front_wheel_hinge
> joints, Gazebo will load the worldfile successfully, but I haven't
> tried controlling it through playerv, and don't know if that will be
> successful or why it doesn't conform to ODE's expectations for this
> kind of joint.
>
> Regards,
> J. C. Allen

> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important issues
> through
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

Jason Allen-5
> Hi,
> I can run the simple car demo without problems on my machine, I've
> seen
> bNormalizationResult in the past due to float/double inconsistency
> between
> ode and gazebo.  What I do is I compile ode with the following flags:

Hello John,

When you say "run the demo without problems", do you mean you are
able to get it to load successfully, or that you are able to command
it through playerv?

If the latter, would it be too much trouble to ask you to post your
worldfile and player configuration file?  I've used the included
simplecar.world and simplecar.model, but can't get the car to move
using the position2d interface through playerv.

Regards,
J. C. Allen

Re: Problem with simplecar.world

John Hsu-2
sorry, clarify... only to load it, but not command it through playerv.  I
haven't tried to move the car using iface.  might give it a try later.
could do it in ros though :)
John