Problem at 80% of "make"

Kefei Zeng

Thanks to a maintainer who's also a Reddit user, I solved the problem with Boost.Signals. Unfortunately, I have another issue at the 80% mark, and it seems like no one else brought it up in the mailing list. Basically, I would get the following lines before termination:

libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQresultErrorMessage'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQstatus'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQsetdbLogin'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQgetvalue'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQbinaryTuples'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQclear'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQgetlength'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQntuples'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQexecParams'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQfinish'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQexec'
libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQresultStatus'

I read somewhere else that the only solution is to use the SVN version of Player, but I would rather avoid doing that unless there really is no solution to the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Problem at 80% of "make"

On 11/03/2014 01:55 PM, Kefei Zeng wrote:
> Thanks to a maintainer who's also a Reddit user, I solved the problem
Yup, that was me.

> with Boost.Signals. Unfortunately, I have another issue at the 80% mark,
> and it seems like no one else brought it up in the mailing list.
> Basically, I would get the following lines before termination:
>
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQresultErrorMessage'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQstatus'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQsetdbLogin'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQgetvalue'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQbinaryTuples'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQclear'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQgetlength'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQntuples'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQexecParams'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQfinish'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to `PQexec'
> libplayerdrivers/libplayerdrivers.so.3.0.2: undefined reference to
> `PQresultStatus'

OK, so a couple of Player drivers require the libpqxx c++ client API for
postgres: the "postlog" and "postgis" drivers.  Player's buildsystem
assumes that if the libpqxx development package is installed, then the
libpq development package is also installed.  Unfortunately, it seems
that that's not the case.

To work around this issue, you can either:
1. Disable the postlog and postgis drivers in cmake (cmake
-DENABLE_DRIVER_POSTGIS=OFF -DENABLE_DRIVER_POSTLOG=OFF)

2. Install the package that provides libpq.so (libpq-dev on Ubuntu,
postgresql-devel on Fedora, etc.)

> I read somewhere else that the only solution is to use the SVN version
> of Player, but I would rather avoid doing that unless there really is no
> solution to the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This issue isn't fixed in the svn version yet, but now that I've figured
out what's going on I think I will try to commit a solution.  The svn
version does have fixes for the other issues you've mentioned; it looks
like I should go ahead and release Player 3.1.0 once I get the libpq
stuff worked out.