Quantcast

Player/Gazebo timed out request laser:0:request:3

Player/Gazebo timed out request laser:0:request:3

Dominic Roberts

Hello,

I'm using Gazebo 1.2 and Player 3.1. I'm trying to get a laser reading
from player/gazebo but they really don't like me enough to do what I want.

Gazebo starts fine, outputting no errors or warnings (world file at end of
post). The GUI starts up and shows me the hokuyo sitting in a blank world
with the blue laser scan coming out. I then start up Player (config file
at end of post):

Output from Player:

[snip]
success
GazeboDriver::GazeboDriver
  Gazebo Plugin driver creating 1 device
    6665.31.0 is  a simulation interface.
Msg Waiting for master
Msg Connected to gazebo master @ http://localhost:11345
GazeboDriver::GazeboDriver
  Gazebo Plugin driver creating 1 device
    6665.6.0 is  a laser interface.
test.cfg:15 warning: field [model_name] is defined but not used
Listening on ports: 6665

I have a very simple player client, as follows:

[snip]
  PlayerCc::PlayerClient robot("localhost");
  PlayerCc::LaserProxy laser(&robot,0);
  for(;;) {

    laser.RequestConfigure(); // failing here!
    laser.RequestGeom();

    // read from the proxies
    printf("before read\n");
    robot.Read();
    printf("after read\n");

    // print out laser
    printf("laser:\n");
    std::cout << laser << std::endl;
  }

This compiles fine but when I run the client program I get the following
output:

playerc error   : timed out waiting for server reply to request
laser:0:request:3

This seems to be failing on the requestconfigure() function. I assume that
this is linked to player's warning about the field name "model_name" not
being used?

My config file for player is as follows:

driver
(
  name "gazebo"
  provides ["simulation:0"]
  plugin "libgazebo_player"
  world_name "default"
)

driver
(
 name "gazebo"
 provides ["laser:0"]
 model_name "hokuyo"
)

My world file for gazebo is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<gazebo version="1.2">
  <world name="default">
    <!-- Ground -->
    <include>
      <uri>model://ground_plane</uri>
    </include>

    <include>
      <uri>model://hokuyo</uri>
    </include>

    <!-- A global light source -->
    <include>
      <uri>model://sun</uri>
    </include>

  </world>
</gazebo>

I'd really appreciate some help with this, this is for my dissertation and
it's driving me completely nuts.

Thanks,
Dominic

Re: Player/Gazebo timed out request laser:0:request:3

Rich Mattes-2
On 01/29/2013 02:11 PM, Dominic Roberts wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Gazebo 1.2 and Player 3.1. I'm trying to get a laser reading
> from player/gazebo but they really don't like me enough to do what I want.
>
> Gazebo starts fine, outputting no errors or warnings (world file at end of
> post). The GUI starts up and shows me the hokuyo sitting in a blank world
> with the blue laser scan coming out. I then start up Player (config file
> at end of post):
>
> Output from Player:
>
> [snip]
> success
> GazeboDriver::GazeboDriver
>    Gazebo Plugin driver creating 1 device
>      6665.31.0 is  a simulation interface.
> Msg Waiting for master
> Msg Connected to gazebo master @ http://localhost:11345
> GazeboDriver::GazeboDriver
>    Gazebo Plugin driver creating 1 device
>      6665.6.0 is  a laser interface.
> test.cfg:15 warning: field [model_name] is defined but not used
> Listening on ports: 6665
It looks like "model_name" isn't a valid field.  I think you should be
using "gz_id" instead.   The player_cfgs that ship with gazebo look out
of date in this respect.

[snip]

> This compiles fine but when I run the client program I get the following
> output:
>
> playerc error   : timed out waiting for server reply to request
> laser:0:request:3
>
> This seems to be failing on the requestconfigure() function. I assume that
> this is linked to player's warning about the field name "model_name" not
> being used?

This is a bug in gazebo.  Internally, playerc is generating a
PLAYERC_LASER_REQ_GET_CONFIG message and sending it to the Gazebo plugin
driver when you call RequestConfigure() (playerc++ is mostly just a
wrapper around playerc, which does all the actual dirty work.)  The
section of Gazebo code (interfaces/player/LaserInterface.cc) that
handles the PLAYER_LASER_REQ_GET_CONFIG message has the handling code
commented out and marked as TODO, including the part that publishes a
response to your request.  Drivers are always supposed to respond to
requests, either with the appropriate response or with a NACK.  To fix
this, you need to either
1. Implement the handler properly (i'm sure the Gazebo devs would be
happy to accept patches here)
2. Uncomment just the Publish() function to publish a blank response, or
3. comment out the whole "else if (Message::MatchMessage(
PLAYER_LASER_REQ_GET_CONFIG))" statement so ProcessMessage falls through
and returns -1.  This will cause Player's driver base class to send a
NACK response back to playerc (which whill then warn that the message
wasn't handled, but won't error out with a failure.)

Re: Player/Gazebo timed out request laser:0:request:3

I believe your player config file has one error.

The part:
driver
(
 name "gazebo"
 provides ["laser:0"]
 model_name "hokuyo"
)

Should be:
driver
(
 name "gazebo"
 provides ["laser:0"]
 model_name "hokuyo::link::laser"
)

I changed model_name to point to the <sensor> within the hokuyo. This is necessary because a model may have many lasers.

-nate

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Dominic Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Nate, Rich,

As you suggested, I commented out the code in LaserInterface so that it
just publishes a blank message (commenting out the whole matchmessage
statement resulted in a player error). This solved the first problem
perfectly.

However, changing the "model_name" (or switching it out for "gz_id") to
"hokuyo::link::laser" still results in a warning about field model_name
being defined but not used. Just for testing I tried switching it out with
"pioneer2dx" and didn't get a warning, so I suppose that I just have the
name wrong. Any ideas?

If it helps, my ultimate aim is to have a pioneer2dx model with a laser on
it (essentially something that has laser and moves) but I am happy to
settle with just a stationary laser for the moment.

Dominic

> [...]
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>> <gazebo version="1.2">
>>   <world name="default">
>>     <!-- Ground -->
>>     <include>
>>       <uri>model://ground_plane</uri>
>>     </include>
>>
>>     <include>
>>       <uri>model://hokuyo</uri>
>>     </include>
>>
>>     <!-- A global light source -->
>>     <include>
>>       <uri>model://sun</uri>
>>     </include>
>>
>>   </world>
>> </gazebo>
>>
>> I'd really appreciate some help with this, this is for my dissertation
>> and
>> it's driving me completely nuts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dominic

Re: Player/Gazebo timed out request laser:0:request:3

Nate Koenig
It might be that "model_name" should be "laser_name" for the laser driver:

driver
(
  name "gazebo"
  provides ["laser:0"]
  laser_name "hokuyo::link::laser"
)

-nate

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:56 AM, Dominic Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>   <world name="default">
>>     <!-- Ground -->
>>     <include>
>>       <uri>model://ground_plane</uri>
>>     </include>
>>
>>     <include>
>>       <uri>model://hokuyo</uri>
>>     </include>
>>
>>     <!-- A global light source -->
>>     <include>
>>       <uri>model://sun</uri>
>>     </include>
>>
>>   </world>
>> </gazebo>
>>
>> I'd really appreciate some help with this, this is for my dissertation
>> and
>> it's driving me completely nuts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dominic

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_jan_______________________________________________

Re: Player/Gazebo timed out request laser:0:request:3

Brilliant, everything works perfectly!

Thanks a lot guys,
Dominic

> It might be that "model_name" should be "laser_name" for the laser driver:
>
> driver
> (
>   name "gazebo"
>   provides ["laser:0"]
>   laser_name "hokuyo::link::laser"
> )
>
> -nate
>

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:56 AM, Dominic Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Thanks Nate, Rich,
>>
>> As you suggested, I commented out the code in LaserInterface so that it
>> just publishes a blank message (commenting out the whole matchmessage
>> statement resulted in a player error). This solved the first problem
>> perfectly.
>>
>> However, changing the "model_name" (or switching it out for "gz_id") to
>> "hokuyo::link::laser" still results in a warning about field model_name
>> being defined but not used. Just for testing I tried switching it out
>> with
>> "pioneer2dx" and didn't get a warning, so I suppose that I just have the
>> name wrong. Any ideas?
>>
>> If it helps, my ultimate aim is to have a pioneer2dx model with a laser
>> on
>> it (essentially something that has laser and moves) but I am happy to
>> settle with just a stationary laser for the moment.
>>
>> Dominic
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I believe your player config file has one error.
>> >
>> > The part:
>> > driver
>> > (
>> >  name "gazebo"
>> >  provides ["laser:0"]
>> >  model_name "hokuyo"
>> > )
>> >
>> > Should be:
>> > driver
>> > (
>> >  name "gazebo"
>> >  provides ["laser:0"]
>> >  model_name "hokuyo::link::laser"
>> > )
>> >
>> > I changed model_name to point to the <sensor> within the hokuyo. This
>> is
>> > necessary because a model may have many lasers.
>> >
>> > -nate

>> reading

>> end
>> file

>> following

>> not

>> dissertation

Re: Player/Gazebo timed out request laser:0:request:3

Qubaish Bhatti
i am trying to run pioneer2dx with joint of hokuyo ... give any suggestion.
i succeeded to run simple pioneer2dx with player ... but by looking gazebo tutorials i make my own robot with the name my_robot with the joint of Hokuyo..... but its not working and not run in the gazebo environment with the player .....  thanks @Nate