Odometry Error

Luc Brunet-2
Hi everyone,

I am using a differential drive robot in Gazebo (svn version), and I am
noticing a lot of slip in the wheels that is giving me large errors,
particularly in the heading when I am spinning.  It is to the point
where I visibly watch the robot spin twice before the yaw values
indicate that it has spun once.  Can someone point me to some setting to
play with so that I can tune this?  I have tried setting the <mul> of
the wheels to infinity without any noticeable change in behaviour.

Thanks alot!

--
Luc Brunet
Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems

Re: Odometry Error

John Hsu-2
Hi Luc,
Do you mean <mu1> (and <mu2>)?  Also, are you using one of the pioneer
models that comes with the svn checkout?
John

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Luc Brunet
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using a differential drive robot in Gazebo (svn version), and I am
> noticing a lot of slip in the wheels that is giving me large errors,
> particularly in the heading when I am spinning.  It is to the point
> where I visibly watch the robot spin twice before the yaw values
> indicate that it has spun once.  Can someone point me to some setting to
> play with so that I can tune this?  I have tried setting the <mul> of
> the wheels to infinity without any noticeable change in behaviour.
>
> Thanks alot!
>
> --
> Luc Brunet
> Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems
> Provectus Robotics Solutions
> www.provectus-robotics.com

Re: Odometry Error

Luc Brunet-2
Hi John, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I meant <mu1>, although I was
unaware of <mu2>, is there a difference?  I was originally using my own
model, but then verified the same behaviour in the pioneer2dx model that
comes as an example.

Luc

On 08/26/2010 01:37 AM, John Hsu wrote:

> Hi Luc,
> Do you mean<mu1>  (and<mu2>)?  Also, are you using one of the pioneer
> models that comes with the svn checkout?
> John
>

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Luc Brunet
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am using a differential drive robot in Gazebo (svn version), and I am
>> noticing a lot of slip in the wheels that is giving me large errors,
>> particularly in the heading when I am spinning.  It is to the point
>> where I visibly watch the robot spin twice before the yaw values
>> indicate that it has spun once.  Can someone point me to some setting to
>> play with so that I can tune this?  I have tried setting the<mul>  of
>> the wheels to infinity without any noticeable change in behaviour.
>>
>> Thanks alot!
>>
>> --
>> Luc Brunet
>> Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems
>> Provectus Robotics Solutions
>> www.provectus-robotics.com

Luc Brunet
Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems
Provectus Robotics Solutions
www.provectus-robotics.com

Re: Odometry Error

John Hsu-2
how are you controlling the pioneer?  I tried giving it a goal using the
example file (attahed position.cc) and was able to achieve target linear and
angular velocities.
also, can you try the attached patch and see if the slip behavior goes away?
John

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Luc Brunet <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi John, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I meant <mu1>, although I was
> unaware of <mu2>, is there a difference?  I was originally using my own
> model, but then verified the same behaviour in the pioneer2dx model that
> comes as an example.
>
> Luc
>
> On 08/26/2010 01:37 AM, John Hsu wrote:
> > Hi Luc,
> > Do you mean<mu1>  (and<mu2>)?  Also, are you using one of the pioneer
> > models that comes with the svn checkout?
> > John
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Luc Brunet
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I am using a differential drive robot in Gazebo (svn version), and I am
> >> noticing a lot of slip in the wheels that is giving me large errors,
> >> particularly in the heading when I am spinning.  It is to the point
> >> where I visibly watch the robot spin twice before the yaw values
> >> indicate that it has spun once.  Can someone point me to some setting to
> >> play with so that I can tune this?  I have tried setting the<mul>  of
> >> the wheels to infinity without any noticeable change in behaviour.
> >>
> >> Thanks alot!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Luc Brunet
> >> Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems
> >> Provectus Robotics Solutions
> >> www.provectus-robotics.com

> Luc Brunet
> Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems
> Provectus Robotics Solutions
> www.provectus-robotics.com

Re: Odometry Error

Kamil Muszyński
2010/8/26 Luc Brunet <[hidden email]>:
> Hi John, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I meant <mu1>, although I was
> unaware of <mu2>, is there a difference?

By using <mu1> and <mu2> you can set different friction coefficients
along x and  y axis of a surface. But if you specify only mu1, mu2=mu1
is used.
How about the <mu> parameters for your ground surface? Maybe it is to
slippery for your robot :)

Regards,
Kamil

Re: Odometry Error

Luis Manso
If you're using your own model, you probably didn't set correctly the radius
and distances between the wheels:
  <wheelSeparation>0.34</wheelSeparation>
  <wheelDiameter>0.16</wheelDiameter>

I guess (I didn't actually read the code) that the odometry is computed
using this values. Thus, they must match with the actual values of the
model.

Luis

2010/8/26 John Hsu <[hidden email]>

> how are you controlling the pioneer?  I tried giving it a goal using the
> example file (attahed position.cc) and was able to achieve target linear
> and
> angular velocities.
> also, can you try the attached patch and see if the slip behavior goes
> away?
> John
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Luc Brunet <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi John, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I meant <mu1>, although I was
> > unaware of <mu2>, is there a difference?  I was originally using my own
> > model, but then verified the same behaviour in the pioneer2dx model that
> > comes as an example.
> >
> > Luc
> >
> > On 08/26/2010 01:37 AM, John Hsu wrote:
> > > Hi Luc,
> > > Do you mean<mu1>  (and<mu2>)?  Also, are you using one of the pioneer
> > > models that comes with the svn checkout?
> > > John

> am

> users
> > and

> > > Sell apps to millions through the Intel(R) Atom(Tm) Developer Program
> > > Be part of this innovative community and reach millions of netbook
> users
> > > worldwide. Take advantage of special opportunities to increase revenue
> > and
> > > speed time-to-market. Join now, and jumpstart your future.
> > > http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d
> >
> > --
> > Luc Brunet
> > Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems
> > Provectus Robotics Solutions
> > www.provectus-robotics.com

Re: Odometry Error

Luc Brunet-2
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.  John, my problem isn't achieving
the proper angular and linear velocities, it's that the resultant yaw
between the observed one in Gazebo, and the one I am reading from the
position interface seems off after I have given it a few commands (spin
the robot exactly once and the yaw isn't the same as initial).  I am
guessing it is caused by wheel slip, but I am not sure what the proper
mu values should be, and also I don't know if there are other parameters
I can tweak.

I have attached an example world file that I am using, and the
pioneer2dx model from svn, and I am using the position interface

libgazebo::PositionIface * _pose;

I can set the yaw values to the following:

_pose->data->cmdEnableMotors = 1;
_pose->data->cmdVelocity.pos.x = 0.0;
_pose->data->cmdVelocity.yaw = 1.0;

and observe that when the robot is lined up with its initial heading,
the value I am reading is not zero, but something way off (2.08 for
instance), and changes the more rotations I allow it to do.

Any help in this is much appreciated,

thanks!

Luc

On 08/26/2010 07:58 AM, Luis Manso wrote:

> If you're using your own model, you probably didn't set correctly the radius
> and distances between the wheels:
>    <wheelSeparation>0.34</wheelSeparation>
>    <wheelDiameter>0.16</wheelDiameter>
>
> I guess (I didn't actually read the code) that the odometry is computed
> using this values. Thus, they must match with the actual values of the
> model.
>
> Luis
>

> 2010/8/26 John Hsu<[hidden email]>
>
>> how are you controlling the pioneer?  I tried giving it a goal using the
>> example file (attahed position.cc) and was able to achieve target linear
>> and
>> angular velocities.
>> also, can you try the attached patch and see if the slip behavior goes
>> away?
>> John
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Luc Brunet<
>> [hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I meant<mu1>, although I was
>>> unaware of<mu2>, is there a difference?  I was originally using my own
>>> model, but then verified the same behaviour in the pioneer2dx model that
>>> comes as an example.
>>>
>>> Luc

>> am

>> users
>>> and

>> users
>>> and
>>>
>>> --
>>> Luc Brunet
>>> Co-Founder, Director - Robotic Systems
>>> Provectus Robotics Solutions
>>> www.provectus-robotics.com

Re: Odometry Error

John Hsu-2
ah, I see now.  I think the error came from bad <wheelSeparation> value in
pioneer2dx.model, it is specified as 0.39 but the wheels are actually 0.34
apart.  Changing that parameter to 0.34 fixed the orientation odometry for
me.
John

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Luc Brunet
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.  John, my problem isn't achieving the
> proper angular and linear velocities, it's that the resultant yaw between
> the observed one in Gazebo, and the one I am reading from the position
> interface seems off after I have given it a few commands (spin the robot
> exactly once and the yaw isn't the same as initial).  I am guessing it is
> caused by wheel slip, but I am not sure what the proper mu values should be,
> and also I don't know if there are other parameters I can tweak.
>
> I have attached an example world file that I am using, and the pioneer2dx
> model from svn, and I am using the position interface
>
> libgazebo::PositionIface * _pose;
>
> I can set the yaw values to the following:
>
> _pose->data->cmdEnableMotors = 1;
> _pose->data->cmdVelocity.pos.x = 0.0;
> _pose->data->cmdVelocity.yaw = 1.0;
>
> and observe that when the robot is lined up with its initial heading, the
> value I am reading is not zero, but something way off (2.08 for instance),
> and changes the more rotations I allow it to do.
>
> Any help in this is much appreciated,
>
> thanks!
>
> Luc
>

> On 08/26/2010 07:58 AM, Luis Manso wrote:
>
>> If you're using your own model, you probably didn't set correctly the
>> radius
>> and distances between the wheels:
>>   <wheelSeparation>0.34</wheelSeparation>
>>   <wheelDiameter>0.16</wheelDiameter>
>>
>> I guess (I didn't actually read the code) that the odometry is computed
>> using this values. Thus, they must match with the actual values of the
>> model.
>>
>> Luis
>>

>> 2010/8/26 John Hsu<[hidden email]>
>>
>>  how are you controlling the pioneer?  I tried giving it a goal using the
>>> example file (attahed position.cc) and was able to achieve target linear
>>> and
>>> angular velocities.
>>> also, can you try the attached patch and see if the slip behavior goes
>>> away?
>>> John
>>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Luc Brunet<
>>> [hidden email]

>>>  Hi John, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I meant<mu1>, although I was

>>> and

Re: Odometry Error

John Hsu-2
updated is in r8858.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ah, I see now.  I think the error came from bad <wheelSeparation> value in
> pioneer2dx.model, it is specified as 0.39 but the wheels are actually 0.34
> apart.  Changing that parameter to 0.34 fixed the orientation odometry for
> me.
>  John
>

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Luc Brunet <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.  John, my problem isn't achieving the
>> proper angular and linear velocities, it's that the resultant yaw between
>> the observed one in Gazebo, and the one I am reading from the position
>> interface seems off after I have given it a few commands (spin the robot
>> exactly once and the yaw isn't the same as initial).  I am guessing it is
>> caused by wheel slip, but I am not sure what the proper mu values should be,
>> and also I don't know if there are other parameters I can tweak.
>>
>> I have attached an example world file that I am using, and the pioneer2dx
>> model from svn, and I am using the position interface
>>
>> libgazebo::PositionIface * _pose;
>>
>> I can set the yaw values to the following:
>>
>> _pose->data->cmdEnableMotors = 1;
>> _pose->data->cmdVelocity.pos.x = 0.0;
>> _pose->data->cmdVelocity.yaw = 1.0;
>>
>> and observe that when the robot is lined up with its initial heading, the
>> value I am reading is not zero, but something way off (2.08 for instance),
>> and changes the more rotations I allow it to do.
>>
>> Any help in this is much appreciated,
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> Luc
>>

>> On 08/26/2010 07:58 AM, Luis Manso wrote:
>>
>>> If you're using your own model, you probably didn't set correctly the
>>> radius
>>> and distances between the wheels:
>>>   <wheelSeparation>0.34</wheelSeparation>
>>>   <wheelDiameter>0.16</wheelDiameter>
>>>
>>> I guess (I didn't actually read the code) that the odometry is computed
>>> using this values. Thus, they must match with the actual values of the
>>> model.
>>>
>>> Luis
>>>

>>> 2010/8/26 John Hsu<[hidden email]>
>>>
>>>  how are you controlling the pioneer?  I tried giving it a goal using the

Re: Odometry Error

Luc Brunet-2
thanks that did it!