Nonplanar ray paths for Laser Range sensors.

Nonplanar ray paths for Laser Range sensors.

smonckton
I'm porting a Gazebo-0.7.0 Laser sensor driver to 0.9.0. The problem here is
that the laser does not have a traditional planar fan shape like the SICK or
hokoyu, but a helical scan pattern. The old driver poured (almost)
everything into a Model subclass, including the sweep logic for the helical
fan within Update(). Gazebo 0.9.0 seems to divide the role of this old class
into (at least) three classes: Controller, Sensor, and RaySensor.

Am I right in assuming that for 0.9.0, I should either modify the RaySensor
class (or preferably subclass it) to contain the helical fan's sweep logic?
If so I'm a little unsure about whether the fan sweep path is described
either:
- once in InitChild() and simply moved in UpdateChild() (My current belief)
or
- both created and dynamically updated in UpdateChild.

As you can probably tell, this is my first time through the Sensor creation
mill...so don't assume I know anything!
Dr. Simon Monckton
Defence Research and Development Canada Suffield | Recherche et
développement pour la défense Canada Suffield
Medicine Hat, AB, Canada T1A 8K6
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Telephone |Téléphone 403-544-4724 / Facsimile | Télécopieur 403-544-4704