Laser sensors in different directions

PeteSahat
Hi,

we're building a robot which has six sonar-sensors in different headings around the bot. Right now we're simulating them with sick-lasers in gazebo.
The problem is, that the data arrives at playerv all heading to the same direction (to the front), altough they are correctly defined in the gazebo worldfile heading to different directions.

In the player-config file, if I were using a real Sick-Laser, I could set the laser position in the "sicklms200" driver, via this parameter:
pose (length tuple)
    * Default: [0.0 0.0 0.0]
    * Pose (x,y,theta) of the laser, relative to its parent object (e.g., the robot to which the laser is attached).

Is there a similar parameter for my gazebo-laser which I can configure at the player-config?

Re: Laser sensors in different directions

You should be able to set the pose of each laser in your gazebo world
file. When you get the data, it's up to you to interpret it properly.

Do all the laser beams point forward in the simulation?

-nate

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM, PeteSahat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're building a robot which has six sonar-sensors in different headings
> around the bot. Right now we're simulating them with sick-lasers in gazebo.
> The problem is, that the data arrives at playerv all heading to the same
> direction (to the front), altough they are correctly defined in the gazebo
> worldfile heading to different directions.
>
> In the player-config file, if I were using a real Sick-Laser, I could set
> the laser position in the "sicklms200" driver, via this parameter:
> pose (length tuple)
>    * Default: [0.0 0.0 0.0]
>    * Pose (x,y,theta) of the laser, relative to its parent object (e.g.,
> the robot to which the laser is attached).
>
> Is there a similar parameter for my gazebo-laser which I can configure at
> the player-config?

Re: Laser sensors in different directions

PeteSahat
In the simulation the beams of each laser are spread over 30 degrees and the lasers are pointing to the correct directions.

But the laser-position info doesn't seem to arrive at drivers like nd or amcl. When looking at the amcl_laser.cc source file, it is requesting PLAYER_LASER_REQ_GET_GEOM (see AMCLLaser::Setup(void) ) and it is using this info to set an offset to angle and position.
At the sicklms200 driver for example, this geometry info is set in the player-config file.

Is gazebo forwarding this laser geometry info from the world file?

Nate Koenig wrote
Hello,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM, PeteSahat <petesahat@gmx.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're building a robot which has six sonar-sensors in different headings
> around the bot. Right now we're simulating them with sick-lasers in gazebo.
> The problem is, that the data arrives at playerv all heading to the same
> direction (to the front), altough they are correctly defined in the gazebo
> worldfile heading to different directions.
>
> In the player-config file, if I were using a real Sick-Laser, I could set
> the laser position in the "sicklms200" driver, via this parameter:
> pose (length tuple)
>    * Default: [0.0 0.0 0.0]
>    * Pose (x,y,theta) of the laser, relative to its parent object (e.g.,
> the robot to which the laser is attached).
>
> Is there a similar parameter for my gazebo-laser which I can configure at
> the player-config?

Re: Laser sensors in different directions

Ahh, I misunderstood the original question.

Gazebo is not sending the pose information. I will fix the problem
over the weekend.

-nate

On 12/18/08, PeteSahat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the simulation the beams of each laser are spread over 30 degrees and the
> lasers are pointing to the correct directions.
>
> But the laser-position info doesn't seem to arrive at drivers like nd or
> amcl. When looking at the amcl_laser.cc source file, it is requesting
> PLAYER_LASER_REQ_GET_GEOM (see AMCLLaser::Setup(void) ) and it is using this
> info to set an offset to angle and position.
> At the sicklms200 driver for example, this geometry info is set in the
> player-config file.
>
> Is gazebo forwarding this laser geometry info from the world file?
>

> Nate Koenig wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> You should be able to set the pose of each laser in your gazebo world
>> file. When you get the data, it's up to you to interpret it properly.
>>
>> Do all the laser beams point forward in the simulation?
>>
>> -nate
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM, PeteSahat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we're building a robot which has six sonar-sensors in different headings
>>> around the bot. Right now we're simulating them with sick-lasers in
>>> gazebo.
>>> The problem is, that the data arrives at playerv all heading to the same
>>> direction (to the front), altough they are correctly defined in the
>>> gazebo
>>> worldfile heading to different directions.
>>>
>>> In the player-config file, if I were using a real Sick-Laser, I could set
>>> the laser position in the "sicklms200" driver, via this parameter:
>>> pose (length tuple)
>>>    * Default: [0.0 0.0 0.0]
>>>    * Pose (x,y,theta) of the laser, relative to its parent object (e.g.,
>>> the robot to which the laser is attached).
>>>
>>> Is there a similar parameter for my gazebo-laser which I can configure at
>>> the player-config?

Re: Laser sensors in different directions

Could you check out the latest SVN version of gazebo, and try to get
the pose of the laser?

Let me know if it doesn't work.

-nate

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Nate Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ahh, I misunderstood the original question.
>
> Gazebo is not sending the pose information. I will fix the problem
> over the weekend.
>
> -nate
>

> On 12/18/08, PeteSahat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In the simulation the beams of each laser are spread over 30 degrees and the
>> lasers are pointing to the correct directions.
>>
>> But the laser-position info doesn't seem to arrive at drivers like nd or
>> amcl. When looking at the amcl_laser.cc source file, it is requesting
>> PLAYER_LASER_REQ_GET_GEOM (see AMCLLaser::Setup(void) ) and it is using this
>> info to set an offset to angle and position.
>> At the sicklms200 driver for example, this geometry info is set in the
>> player-config file.
>>
>> Is gazebo forwarding this laser geometry info from the world file?
>>

>> Nate Koenig wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> You should be able to set the pose of each laser in your gazebo world
>>> file. When you get the data, it's up to you to interpret it properly.
>>>
>>> Do all the laser beams point forward in the simulation?
>>>
>>> -nate

Re: Laser sensors in different directions

rhys
Hey

I tried the patch. but it didnt seem to solve the problem.  I have 3 lasers in gazebo, and even after applying the patch on this, when i run playerv and subscribe to the lasers, all of them point to the same direction.

Any solution to it?

Nate Koenig wrote
Hello,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Nate Koenig <natekoenig@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ahh, I misunderstood the original question.
>
> Gazebo is not sending the pose information. I will fix the problem
> over the weekend.
>
> -nate
>

> On 12/18/08, PeteSahat <petesahat@gmx.org> wrote:
>>
>> In the simulation the beams of each laser are spread over 30 degrees and the
>> lasers are pointing to the correct directions.
>>
>> But the laser-position info doesn't seem to arrive at drivers like nd or
>> amcl. When looking at the amcl_laser.cc source file, it is requesting
>> PLAYER_LASER_REQ_GET_GEOM (see AMCLLaser::Setup(void) ) and it is using this
>> info to set an offset to angle and position.
>> At the sicklms200 driver for example, this geometry info is set in the
>> player-config file.
>>
>> Is gazebo forwarding this laser geometry info from the world file?
>>

>> Nate Koenig wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> You should be able to set the pose of each laser in your gazebo world
>>> file. When you get the data, it's up to you to interpret it properly.
>>>
>>> Do all the laser beams point forward in the simulation?
>>>
>>> -nate

Re: Laser sensors in different directions

rhys
Hi

I did the following to fix that problem.

The patch that i applied, got the global position of the lasers, while you
need the robot relative position for it to send the data to player
correctly.

Firstly I had to add two parameters to laser model file under <sensor:ray>.
These two parameters are the <xyz> position and the <rpy> of laser relative
to the robot.

In sensor.cc::Load you need to load these two parameters in, and then under
sensor.cc::GetPose() you need to return these two parameters as a single
Pose3d.   Exactly as it has been done under gazebo/server/physics/Body.cc

rhys

2009/2/2 rhys <[hidden email]>

> Hey
>
> I tried the patch. but it didnt seem to solve the problem.  I have 3 lasers
> in gazebo, and even after applying the patch on this, when i run playerv
> and
> subscribe to the lasers, all of them point to the same direction.
>
> Any solution to it?
>

> Nate Koenig wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Could you check out the latest SVN version of gazebo, and try to get
> > the pose of the laser?
> >
> > Let me know if it doesn't work.
> >
> > -nate
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Nate Koenig <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Ahh, I misunderstood the original question.
> >>
> >> Gazebo is not sending the pose information. I will fix the problem
> >> over the weekend.
> >>
> >> -nate

> and

> or

> configure

> >> --
> >> Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
> local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK
> and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Laser sensors in different directions

Okay, I found the problem. Now it should really work. Get the SVN
head, and you should be all set.

-nate