Quantcast

Is player dead?

Fred Labrosse
All,

Sorry for the blunt question, but do I sense that player is dying?

I’m asking because I am still using it, but see very little traffic on either mailing list and very few commits made to the svn repository.  I have a few diffs to submit that have to do with ptz interfaces and the sonyevid30 driver and I was wondering if there was any point in submitting them.

Player has been very useful to me for many years, and I would hate seeing it disappear, especially since changing to something else, such as ROS, would be quite some work for me to port some of our player code to the new system.

Any views on that?

Cheers,

Fred

Re: Is player dead?

Brian Gerkey
hi Fred,

It's awesome to hear that you're still using Player.  We put a lot of
effort into that tool for many years.

It's fair to say that Player is no longer under active development,
but that doesn't mean that it's dead.  I handed over responsibility
for Player to the very capable Rich Mattes several years ago, when I
turned my attention to ROS.  I think that Rich is still applying
patches.  Looks like this is the place to submit them:
  http://sourceforge.net/p/playerstage/patches/

brian.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Fred Labrosse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> Sorry for the blunt question, but do I sense that player is dying?
>
> I’m asking because I am still using it, but see very little traffic on either mailing list and very few commits made to the svn repository.  I have a few diffs to submit that have to do with ptz interfaces and the sonyevid30 driver and I was wondering if there was any point in submitting them.
>
> Player has been very useful to me for many years, and I would hate seeing it disappear, especially since changing to something else, such as ROS, would be quite some work for me to port some of our player code to the new system.
>
> Any views on that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred

Re: Is player dead?

Richard Vaughan-2
Seconding Brian's answer. Player and Stage are mature and in maintenance mode. Rich is accepting patches that fix bugs, etc. but may not respond as quickly as in past years. The code remains available and always will.

By the way, we might want to migrate Player away from SourceForge before they melt down completely.

Richard/

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Brian Gerkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi Fred,

It's awesome to hear that you're still using Player.  We put a lot of
effort into that tool for many years.

It's fair to say that Player is no longer under active development,
but that doesn't mean that it's dead.  I handed over responsibility
for Player to the very capable Rich Mattes several years ago, when I
turned my attention to ROS.  I think that Rich is still applying
patches.  Looks like this is the place to submit them:
  http://sourceforge.net/p/playerstage/patches/

brian.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Fred Labrosse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All,
>
> Sorry for the blunt question, but do I sense that player is dying?
>
> I’m asking because I am still using it, but see very little traffic on either mailing list and very few commits made to the svn repository.  I have a few diffs to submit that have to do with ptz interfaces and the sonyevid30 driver and I was wondering if there was any point in submitting them.
>
> Player has been very useful to me for many years, and I would hate seeing it disappear, especially since changing to something else, such as ROS, would be quite some work for me to port some of our player code to the new system.
>
> Any views on that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred

Re: Is player dead?

Geoffrey Biggs-3

I think that they already have melted down. The recent incident with SF taking over the GIMP Windows project and bundling adware in the installer was not an isolated incident.

Github would seem to be the logical choice at the moment, but I think that any migration destination should be driven by Rich's needs, to ensure he can maintain it easily.

Geoff

Seconding Brian's answer. Player and Stage are mature and in maintenance mode. Rich is accepting patches that fix bugs, etc. but may not respond as quickly as in past years. The code remains available and always will.

By the way, we might want to migrate Player away from SourceForge before they melt down completely.

Richard/

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Brian Gerkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi Fred,

It's awesome to hear that you're still using Player.  We put a lot of
effort into that tool for many years.

It's fair to say that Player is no longer under active development,
but that doesn't mean that it's dead.  I handed over responsibility
for Player to the very capable Rich Mattes several years ago, when I
turned my attention to ROS.  I think that Rich is still applying
patches.  Looks like this is the place to submit them:
  http://sourceforge.net/p/playerstage/patches/

brian.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Fred Labrosse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All,
>
> Sorry for the blunt question, but do I sense that player is dying?
>
> I’m asking because I am still using it, but see very little traffic on either mailing list and very few commits made to the svn repository.  I have a few diffs to submit that have to do with ptz interfaces and the sonyevid30 driver and I was wondering if there was any point in submitting them.
>
> Player has been very useful to me for many years, and I would hate seeing it disappear, especially since changing to something else, such as ROS, would be quite some work for me to port some of our player code to the new system.
>
> Any views on that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred

Re: Is player dead?

Rich Mattes-2
Hi all,

First, yes, I am still maintaining Player and I'm happy to accept
patches and field bug reports.  It's not under active development
anymore, but it's not dead by any means.  I've been chipping away at
things here and there, like updating drivers to support new library
versions and updating the xdr and interface generation scripts to work
with python 3.

I'm glad this thread has popped up, as I've been thinking about the
sourceforge hosting situation for the past few days, and  addressing it
has been quickly moving up my to-do list.  About a year or two ago I
worked out the proper git-svn incantation and username/email address
mappings to export the entire Player svn repository history into git.
I'll try to dig that up again and see if I can get the tree and the
history into git locally.

Github and Bitbucket are both good choices for a new host, though I lean
towards github because it's a lot more popular.  My gameplan is to set
up a github organization called "playerproject" to host the code under,
and create a "player" repository underneath for the Player code.  Once I
push the git tree, I'll add whichever of you would like to be part of
the new github org and look at migrating the issues, wiki, website, api
docs, etc. from sf and tagging a 3.1 release under the new
infrastructure.  I don't have a lot of time for the rest of this month,
but I think I can at least get the code moved, and worry about the rest
once I get some more free time.

Rich

On 06/10/2015 07:05 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:

> I think that they already have melted down. The recent incident with SF
> taking over the GIMP Windows project and bundling adware in the
> installer was not an isolated incident.
>

> Github would seem to be the logical choice at the moment, but I think
> that any migration destination should be driven by Rich's needs, to
> ensure he can maintain it easily.
>

> Geoff

Re: Is player dead?

Richard Vaughan-2
Thanks Rich. Github makes sense to me too. Thanks for working on this.

R/

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Rich Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

First, yes, I am still maintaining Player and I'm happy to accept
patches and field bug reports.  It's not under active development
anymore, but it's not dead by any means.  I've been chipping away at
things here and there, like updating drivers to support new library
versions and updating the xdr and interface generation scripts to work
with python 3.

I'm glad this thread has popped up, as I've been thinking about the
sourceforge hosting situation for the past few days, and  addressing it
has been quickly moving up my to-do list.  About a year or two ago I
worked out the proper git-svn incantation and username/email address
mappings to export the entire Player svn repository history into git.
I'll try to dig that up again and see if I can get the tree and the
history into git locally.

Github and Bitbucket are both good choices for a new host, though I lean
towards github because it's a lot more popular.  My gameplan is to set
up a github organization called "playerproject" to host the code under,
and create a "player" repository underneath for the Player code.  Once I
push the git tree, I'll add whichever of you would like to be part of
the new github org and look at migrating the issues, wiki, website, api
docs, etc. from sf and tagging a 3.1 release under the new
infrastructure.  I don't have a lot of time for the rest of this month,
but I think I can at least get the code moved, and worry about the rest
once I get some more free time.

Rich

On 06/10/2015 07:05 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:
> I think that they already have melted down. The recent incident with SF
> taking over the GIMP Windows project and bundling adware in the
> installer was not an isolated incident.
>

> Github would seem to be the logical choice at the moment, but I think
> that any migration destination should be driven by Rich's needs, to
> ensure he can maintain it easily.
>

> Geoff

Ditto, +1 to that plan.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Richard Vaughan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Rich. Github makes sense to me too. Thanks for working on this.
>
> R/
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Rich Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First, yes, I am still maintaining Player and I'm happy to accept
>> patches and field bug reports.  It's not under active development
>> anymore, but it's not dead by any means.  I've been chipping away at
>> things here and there, like updating drivers to support new library
>> versions and updating the xdr and interface generation scripts to work
>> with python 3.
>>
>> I'm glad this thread has popped up, as I've been thinking about the
>> sourceforge hosting situation for the past few days, and  addressing it
>> has been quickly moving up my to-do list.  About a year or two ago I
>> worked out the proper git-svn incantation and username/email address
>> mappings to export the entire Player svn repository history into git.
>> I'll try to dig that up again and see if I can get the tree and the
>> history into git locally.
>>
>> Github and Bitbucket are both good choices for a new host, though I lean
>> towards github because it's a lot more popular.  My gameplan is to set
>> up a github organization called "playerproject" to host the code under,
>> and create a "player" repository underneath for the Player code.  Once I
>> push the git tree, I'll add whichever of you would like to be part of
>> the new github org and look at migrating the issues, wiki, website, api
>> docs, etc. from sf and tagging a 3.1 release under the new
>> infrastructure.  I don't have a lot of time for the rest of this month,
>> but I think I can at least get the code moved, and worry about the rest
>> once I get some more free time.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> On 06/10/2015 07:05 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:
>> > I think that they already have melted down. The recent incident with SF
>> > taking over the GIMP Windows project and bundling adware in the
>> > installer was not an isolated incident.
>> >

>> > Github would seem to be the logical choice at the moment, but I think
>> > that any migration destination should be driven by Rich's needs, to
>> > ensure he can maintain it easily.
>> >

>> > Geoff

Re: Is player dead?

Geoffrey Biggs-3
An excellent plan, Rich.

I agree that the code is the priority. For the website, etc., they will still be usable from SF until SF decides to coopt the project. What about putting the website and so on in a branch for now until you have time to look at them?

One possibly for the API docs is readthedocs.org. I have absolutely no idea how they operate, but I seem to be increasingly directed there for documentation.

Geoff
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Richard Vaughan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Rich. Github makes sense to me too. Thanks for working on this.
>
> R/
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Rich Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First, yes, I am still maintaining Player and I'm happy to accept
>> patches and field bug reports.  It's not under active development
>> anymore, but it's not dead by any means.  I've been chipping away at
>> things here and there, like updating drivers to support new library
>> versions and updating the xdr and interface generation scripts to work
>> with python 3.
>>
>> I'm glad this thread has popped up, as I've been thinking about the
>> sourceforge hosting situation for the past few days, and  addressing it
>> has been quickly moving up my to-do list.  About a year or two ago I
>> worked out the proper git-svn incantation and username/email address
>> mappings to export the entire Player svn repository history into git.
>> I'll try to dig that up again and see if I can get the tree and the
>> history into git locally.
>>
>> Github and Bitbucket are both good choices for a new host, though I lean
>> towards github because it's a lot more popular.  My gameplan is to set
>> up a github organization called "playerproject" to host the code under,
>> and create a "player" repository underneath for the Player code.  Once I
>> push the git tree, I'll add whichever of you would like to be part of
>> the new github org and look at migrating the issues, wiki, website, api
>> docs, etc. from sf and tagging a 3.1 release under the new
>> infrastructure.  I don't have a lot of time for the rest of this month,
>> but I think I can at least get the code moved, and worry about the rest
>> once I get some more free time.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> On 06/10/2015 07:05 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:
>> > I think that they already have melted down. The recent incident with SF
>> > taking over the GIMP Windows project and bundling adware in the
>> > installer was not an isolated incident.
>> >

>> > Github would seem to be the logical choice at the moment, but I think
>> > that any migration destination should be driven by Rich's needs, to
>> > ensure he can maintain it easily.
>> >

>> > Geoff

Re: Is player dead?

Rich Mattes-2
Alright I got the Player code imported and invited a few people to the
new github organization.  I will grab the "www" and "papers" folders out
of svn and set up repositories under playerproject for each of them.

Github will let us host a page at playerproject.github.io, but it won't
let us use php.  I can restructure the playerstage.sf.net site to be
flat html instead of using php, which wouldn't be too hard.  I can also
use some space on my personal webserver to host the site, which will let
us not have to mess with the site, and will let us import and keep
running mediawiki with all the wiki spam that entails.  I think we can
worry about that later though.

I have noticed a lot of people using readthedocs.org as well, and also
have no idea how that works.  I'll look into that for the doxygen
documentation.

Rich

On 06/10/2015 10:21 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:

> An excellent plan, Rich.
>
> I agree that the code is the priority. For the website, etc., they will still be usable from SF until SF decides to coopt the project. What about putting the website and so on in a branch for now until you have time to look at them?
>
> One possibly for the API docs is readthedocs.org. I have absolutely no idea how they operate, but I seem to be increasingly directed there for documentation.
>
> Geoff

Re: Is player dead?

Rashad M
+1. A github org is much appreciated. Looking into sourceforge pageonly to see inactivity is unpleasant

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Rich Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alright I got the Player code imported and invited a few people to the
new github organization.  I will grab the "www" and "papers" folders out
of svn and set up repositories under playerproject for each of them.

Github will let us host a page at playerproject.github.io, but it won't
let us use php.  I can restructure the playerstage.sf.net site to be
flat html instead of using php, which wouldn't be too hard.  I can also
use some space on my personal webserver to host the site, which will let
us not have to mess with the site, and will let us import and keep
running mediawiki with all the wiki spam that entails.  I think we can
worry about that later though.

I have noticed a lot of people using readthedocs.org as well, and also
have no idea how that works.  I'll look into that for the doxygen
documentation.

Rich

On 06/10/2015 10:21 PM, BiggsGeoffrey wrote:
> An excellent plan, Rich.
>
> I agree that the code is the priority. For the website, etc., they will still be usable from SF until SF decides to coopt the project. What about putting the website and so on in a branch for now until you have time to look at them?
>
> One possibly for the API docs is readthedocs.org. I have absolutely no idea how they operate, but I seem to be increasingly directed there for documentation.
>
> Geoff

   Rashad

Re: Is player dead?

Fred Labrosse
Hi Brian,

Thank you for these encouraging words, and thank you Rich for the work.  I
am glad to see that it is still going.

I will be submitting a few patches/drivers, after I have tested them more.

I recently noted that compiling against player now throws loads of warnings
about boost signals that need to be converted to signals2.  Is that
something that will be done?

Cheers,

Fred

On Wednesday 10 June 2015 10:35:25 Brian Gerkey wrote:

> hi Fred,
>
> It's awesome to hear that you're still using Player.  We put a lot of
> effort into that tool for many years.
>
> It's fair to say that Player is no longer under active development,
> but that doesn't mean that it's dead.  I handed over responsibility
> for Player to the very capable Rich Mattes several years ago, when I
> turned my attention to ROS.  I think that Rich is still applying
> patches.  Looks like this is the place to submit them:
>   http://sourceforge.net/p/playerstage/patches/
>
> brian.
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Fred Labrosse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Sorry for the blunt question, but do I sense that player is dying?
> >
> > I’m asking because I am still using it, but see very little traffic on
> > either mailing list and very few commits made to the svn repository.
> > I have a few diffs to submit that have to do with ptz interfaces and
> > the sonyevid30 driver and I was wondering if there was any point in
> > submitting them.
> >
> > Player has been very useful to me for many years, and I would hate
> > seeing it disappear, especially since changing to something else, such
> > as ROS, would be quite some work for me to port some of our player
> > code to the new system.
> >
> > Any views on that?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Fred

Re: Is player dead?

Rich Mattes-2
Hi Fred,

Great!  Please submit them through the new github location:
https://github.com/playerproject/player

You can post patches to the issue tracker or fork and make pull requests, whichever you prefer.

I have added an issue to track the boost.signals2 migration at https://github.com/playerproject/player/issues/1.  I can work on porting playerc++ to use the new API and get rid of the deprecation warnings.

Rich