Install trouble - boost?

brad17
I'm not sure what's going on here. I have reasonably recent svn versions of player and stage working.
I'm trying to install gazebo for the first time. I had boost 1.34 but have installed (attempted to install) 1.41

cmake runs and outputs the following, but make then fails. Please advise what I should do to get this install working,
thanks

-- Gazebo version 0.9.0
--

====== Finding 3rd Party Packages ======
-- Operating system is Linux
-- checking for module 'freeimage>=3.9.0'
--   package 'freeimage>=3.9.0' not found
--   freeimage.pc not found, trying freeimage_include_dir and freeimage_library_dir flags.
--   Looking for FreeImage.h - found
--   Looking for libfreeimage - found
-- checking for module 'openal'
--   package 'openal' not found
-- Warning: Openal and development files not found. Audio capabilities will be disabled. See the following website: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx
-- checking for module 'libavformat'
--   package 'libavformat' not found
-- Warning: libavformat and development files not found. Audio capabilities will be disabled.
-- checking for module 'libavcodec'
--   package 'libavcodec' not found
-- Warning: libavcodec and development files not found. Audio capabilities will be disabled.
-- checking for module 'websim'
--   package 'websim' not found
-- Warning: Websim not found. Webgazebo will not be built
-- Boost Include Path: /usr/include
-- Boost Library Path: /usr/lib
-- Boost Libraries: ;/usr/lib/libboost_thread-mt.so;/usr/lib/libboost_signals-mt.so
-- Threadpool Include Path:
-- Looking for event.h - not found
--   Warning: webgazebo will not be built
-- Looking for ltdl.h - found
-- Looking for libltdl - found
-- Looking for dlfcn.h - found
-- Looking for libdl - found
-- Looking for btBulletDynamicsCommon.h - found
-- Looking for bullet libraries - found
-- ----------------------------------------

-- Cmake C Flags:
-- Build Type: RELEASE
-- Install path: /usr/local
-- Configuration successful. Type make to compile gazebo
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /usr/src/gazebo-svn/build

Make output:

[  0%] Building CXX object 3rd_party/assimp/code/CMakeFiles/assimp.dir/3DSConverter.o
[  0%] Building CXX object 3rd_party/assimp/code/CMakeFiles/assimp.dir/3DSLoader.o
[  1%] Building CXX object 3rd_party/assimp/code/CMakeFiles/assimp.dir/ACLoader.o
[ 64%] Built target gazebo_physics_bullet
Scanning dependencies of target gazebo_server
[ 64%] Building CXX object server/CMakeFiles/gazebo_server.dir/sensors/camera/MonoCameraSensor.o
[ 65%] Building CXX object server/CMakeFiles/gazebo_server.dir/sensors/camera/StereoCameraSensor.o
/usr/src/gazebo-svn/server/sensors/camera/StereoCameraSensor.cc: In member function ‘virtual void gazebo::StereoCameraSensor::SaveFrame()’:
/usr/src/gazebo-svn/server/sensors/camera/StereoCameraSensor.cc:401: warning: ignoring return value of ‘size_t fwrite(const void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
/usr/src/gazebo-svn/server/sensors/camera/StereoCameraSensor.cc:402: warning: ignoring return value of ‘size_t fwrite(const void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
/usr/src/gazebo-svn/server/sensors/camera/StereoCameraSensor.cc:403: warning: ignoring return value of ‘size_t fwrite(const void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
[ 65%] Building CXX object server/CMakeFiles/gazebo_server.dir/sensors/contact/ContactSensor.o
[ 66%] Building CXX object server/CMakeFiles/gazebo_server.dir/sensors/imu/ImuSensor.o
[ 66%] Building CXX object server/CMakeFiles/gazebo_server.dir/sensors/ray/RaySensor.o
Linking CXX shared library libgazebo_gui.so
[ 91%] Built target gazebo_gui
[ 91%] Building CXX object server/audio_video/CMakeFiles/gazebo_av-shared.dir/AudioDecoder.o
[ 92%] Building CXX object server/audio_video/CMakeFiles/gazebo_av-shared.dir/OpenAL.o
Linking CXX shared library libgazebo_av.so
[ 92%] Built target gazebo_av-shared
[ 93%] Building CXX object server/CMakeFiles/gazebo-exec.dir/main.o
Linking CXX executable gazebo
libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to `boost::detail::thread_data_base::~thread_data_base()'
libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to `boost::signals::detail::signal_base::signal_base(boost::function2<bool, boost::signals::detail::stored_group, boost::signals::detail::stored_group> const&, boost::any const&)'
libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to `vtable for boost::detail::thread_data_base'
libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to `typeinfo for boost::detail::thread_data_base'
libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to `boost::thread::start_thread()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [server/gazebo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [server/CMakeFiles/gazebo-exec.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Re: Install trouble - boost?

Do you have multiple versions of boost installed right now?

I would try to make sure only one version of boost is installed, and
retry to cmake and build gazebo.

-nate

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:08 AM, brad17 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> [ 93%] Building CXX object server/CMakeFiles/gazebo-exec.dir/main.o
> Linking CXX executable gazebo
> libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to
> `boost::detail::thread_data_base::~thread_data_base()'
> libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to
> `boost::signals::detail::signal_base::signal_base(boost::function2<bool,
> boost::signals::detail::stored_group, boost::signals::detail::stored_group>
> const&, boost::any const&)'
> libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to `vtable for
> boost::detail::thread_data_base'
> libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to `typeinfo for
> boost::detail::thread_data_base'
> libgazebo_server.so.0.9.0: undefined reference to
> `boost::thread::start_thread()'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [server/gazebo] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [server/CMakeFiles/gazebo-exec.dir/all] Error 2

Re: Install trouble - boost?

brad17
OK, I fixed this. I suspect I had inconsistent directories / libraries somewhere.

The package manager versions (1.34, 1.35) of libboost had compiled libraries with -mt.so endings
When I downloaded 1.41 and built it, it didn't have names ending in -mt.so - requiring changes in ccmake for gazebo.
Configure ccmake to the correct location and names of the libboost libraries enabled gazebo to build with both 1.41 and 1.35. I was less comfortable changing the name of the library so I reverted to 1.35

I was worried about dependencies so I rebuilt OGRE, ODE etc with boost 1.35 as well.

I now have segmentation fault issues, but I'll put that in another post.

thanks
Nate Koenig wrote
Hello,