Instability problem

Neostek
Hi all,
I have a problem with my quadrotor, simulated in Gazebo.
If I placed under my quadrotor a static payload (a box), I succeed to stabilize the quadrotor and the payload on a fixed position.
if I substituted the payload with three bodies (i.e. the sonyvid30 camera) that have the same weight of the payload, I didn't succeed to stabilize them.
I think that it is a problem caused by:
1) the bodies interaction of the camera (too force between them)
2) a my incorrect call of the "include"

Please help me, there are 15 days that I try to solve this problem and I don't know neither its reason.
Attached, there are my world (quadrotor.world), quadrotor.world, the camera model (quadrotor_camera2.model) quadrotor_camera2.model, the quadrotor model (quadrotor.model) quadrotor.model and the cfg file (quadrotor.cfg)quadrotor.cfg

Thanks a lot for any reply!!!!!

Re: Instability problem

John Hsu-2
Hi Neostek,

One of the problem I can see might be the usage of <attach>.  Though I
havent' tried recently, <attach>ing bodies together lead to unstable
behaviors.  Try connecting bodies together using hinge joints with hiStop
and loStop of 0 as fixed joints.

John

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Neostek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a problem with my quadrotor, simulated in Gazebo.
> If I placed under my quadrotor a static payload (a box), I succeed to
> stabilize the quadrotor and the payload on a fixed position.
> if I substituted the payload with three bodies (i.e. the sonyvid30 camera)
> that have the same weight of the payload, I didn't succeed to stabilize
> them.
> I think that it is a problem caused by:
> 1) the bodies interaction of the camera (too force between them)
> 2) a my incorrect call of the "include"
>
> Please help me, there are 15 days that I try to solve this problem and I
> don't know neither its reason.
> Attached, there are my world (quadrotor.world),
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.world quadrotor.world , the
> camera model (quadrotor_camera2.model)
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor_camera2.model
> quadrotor_camera2.model , the quadrotor model (quadrotor.model)
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.model quadrotor.model  and
> the cfg file (quadrotor.cfg)
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.cfg quadrotor.cfg

Re: Instability problem

What do you mean by "stabilize the quadrotor"?

I modified your world file:

  <physics:ode>
    <stepTime>0.001</stepTime>
    <gravity>0 0 -9.8</gravity>
    <cfm>0.0000000001</cfm>
    <erp>0.2</erp>
    <quickStep>true</quickStep>
    <quickStepIters>10</quickStepIters>
    <quickStepW>1.3</quickStepW>
    <contactMaxCorrectingVel>100.0</contactMaxCorrectingVel>
    <contactSurfaceLayer>0.001</contactSurfaceLayer>
  </physics:ode>

And your model appears just fine.

-nate

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Neostek,
>
> One of the problem I can see might be the usage of <attach>.  Though I
> havent' tried recently, <attach>ing bodies together lead to unstable
> behaviors.  Try connecting bodies together using hinge joints with hiStop
> and loStop of 0 as fixed joints.
>
> John
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Neostek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> I have a problem with my quadrotor, simulated in Gazebo.
>> If I placed under my quadrotor a static payload (a box), I succeed to
>> stabilize the quadrotor and the payload on a fixed position.
>> if I substituted the payload with three bodies (i.e. the sonyvid30 camera)
>> that have the same weight of the payload, I didn't succeed to stabilize
>> them.
>> I think that it is a problem caused by:
>> 1) the bodies interaction of the camera (too force between them)
>> 2) a my incorrect call of the "include"
>>
>> Please help me, there are 15 days that I try to solve this problem and I
>> don't know neither its reason.
>> Attached, there are my world (quadrotor.world),
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.world quadrotor.world , the
>> camera model (quadrotor_camera2.model)
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor_camera2.model
>> quadrotor_camera2.model , the quadrotor model (quadrotor.model)
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.model quadrotor.model  and
>> the cfg file (quadrotor.cfg)
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.cfg quadrotor.cfg

Re: Instability problem

Neostek
I mean that if I write a position to the quadrotor, if it has only a payload it goes to this position and it stay there.
If It has a camera with the same weight it start to swing around this point, always stronger and so it doesn't stay there.
I use a PD controller. I've also tried to tune the PD's parameters but I think that it can be a problem about an incorrect use of attach (but I'm not so sure about that because also the payload model use this function) or about the camera but I don't see any problem in my code....
Thanks for any reply....

Nate Koenig wrote
Hello,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM, John Hsu <johnhsu@willowgarage.com> wrote:
> Hi Neostek,
>
> One of the problem I can see might be the usage of <attach>.  Though I
> havent' tried recently, <attach>ing bodies together lead to unstable
> behaviors.  Try connecting bodies together using hinge joints with hiStop
> and loStop of 0 as fixed joints.
>
> John
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Neostek <marco.cognetti@libero.it> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> I have a problem with my quadrotor, simulated in Gazebo.
>> If I placed under my quadrotor a static payload (a box), I succeed to
>> stabilize the quadrotor and the payload on a fixed position.
>> if I substituted the payload with three bodies (i.e. the sonyvid30 camera)
>> that have the same weight of the payload, I didn't succeed to stabilize
>> them.
>> I think that it is a problem caused by:
>> 1) the bodies interaction of the camera (too force between them)
>> 2) a my incorrect call of the "include"
>>
>> Please help me, there are 15 days that I try to solve this problem and I
>> don't know neither its reason.
>> Attached, there are my world (quadrotor.world),
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.world quadrotor.world , the
>> camera model (quadrotor_camera2.model)
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor_camera2.model
>> quadrotor_camera2.model , the quadrotor model (quadrotor.model)
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.model quadrotor.model  and
>> the cfg file (quadrotor.cfg)
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27320617/quadrotor.cfg quadrotor.cfg

Re: Instability problem

Neostek
Hi all,
firtst of all, thanks a lot for your help.
I tried to modify as you show me my file.world and I obtain:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<gazebo:world
  xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
  xmlns:gazebo="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#gz"
  xmlns:model="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#model"
  xmlns:sensor="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#sensor"
  xmlns:window="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#window"
  xmlns:param="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#param"
  xmlns:body="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#body"
  xmlns:geom="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#geom"
  xmlns:joint="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#joint"
  xmlns:interface="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#interface"
  xmlns:ui="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#ui"
  xmlns:rendering="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#rendering"
  xmlns:controller="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#controller"
  xmlns:physics="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#physics" >

  <verbosity>5</verbosity>

<physics:ode>
    <stepTime>0.001</stepTime>
    <updateRate>-1</updateRate>
    <gravity>0 0 -9.8</gravity>
    <cfm>0.0000000001</cfm>
    <erp>0.2</erp>
    <quickStep>true</quickStep>
    <quickStepIters>10</quickStepIters>
    <quickStepW>1.3</quickStepW>
    <contactMaxCorrectingVel>100.0</contactMaxCorrectingVel>
    <contactSurfaceLayer>0.001</contactSurfaceLayer>
  </physics:ode>

  <rendering:gui>
    <type>fltk</type>
    <size>800 600</size>
    <pos>0 0</pos>
  </rendering:gui>

  <rendering:ogre>
    <ambient>0.4 0.4 0.4 1.0</ambient>
    <sky>
      <material>Gazebo/CloudySky</material>
    </sky>

  </rendering:ogre>

  <model:physical name="plane1_model">
    <xyz>0 0 0</xyz>
    <rpy>0 0 0</rpy>
    <static>true</static>

      <geom:plane name="plane1_geom">
        <normal>0 0 1</normal>
        <size>2000 2000</size>
        <segments>10 10</segments>
        <uvTile>100 100</uvTile>
        <material>Gazebo/GrassFloor</material>
      </geom:plane>
  </model:physical>

  <model:physical name="quadrotor_model_1">
    <controller:quadrotor_position3d name="input">
    <bodyName>chassis_body</bodyName>
    <interface:position name="iface"/>
    <control_noise>0.00 0.0 0.0 0.0</control_noise>
    <thrust_scale>7.0</thrust_scale>
    <rp_angle_scale>0.35</rp_angle_scale>
    <p_gain>20.0</p_gain>
    <v_gain>8.0</v_gain>

        <updateRate>-1</updateRate>
        </controller:quadrotor_position3d>

    <enableGravity>true</enableGravity>
    <xyz>0.0 0.0 0.245</xyz>
    <rpy>0.0 0.0 0.0</rpy>

        <model:physical name="sonyvid30_model">
      <xyz>0.0 0.0 0.0</xyz>

        <include embedded="true">
        <xi:include href="models/quadrotor_camera2.model" />
      </include>
        </model:physical>

       <include embedded="true">
       <xi:include href="models/quadrotor.model" />
       </include>

       <joint:hinge name="camera_joint">
       <body1>chassis_body</body1>
       <body2>sonyvid30_body</body2>
       <anchor>0.015 0.64 0</anchor>
       <axis>0 1 0</axis>
       <erp>0.4</erp>
       <cfm>0.8</cfm>
       <lowStop>-0.0</lowStop>
       <highStop>0.0</highStop>
       </joint:hinge>

 </model:physical>

  <model:renderable name="directional_white">
    <enableGravity>false</enableGravity>
    <light>
      <type>directional</type>
      <direction>0 -0.8 -0.3</direction>
      <diffuseColor>0.9 0.9 0.9</diffuseColor>
      <specularColor>0.0 0.0 0.0</specularColor>
      <range>100</range>

      <attenuation>0.0 1.0 0.4</attenuation>
    </light>
  </model:renderable>

</gazebo:world>

Actually, I've seen that with and without the attach command change something but the problem is the same.
I really don't know the reason of this problem because it is very strange that with a payload it works and with a camera no!
Thanks a lot for any reply

Neostek wrote
Hi all,
I have a problem with my quadrotor, simulated in Gazebo.
If I placed under my quadrotor a static payload (a box), I succeed to stabilize the quadrotor and the payload on a fixed position.
if I substituted the payload with three bodies (i.e. the sonyvid30 camera) that have the same weight of the payload, I didn't succeed to stabilize them.
I think that it is a problem caused by:
1) the bodies interaction of the camera (too force between them)
2) a my incorrect call of the "include"

Please help me, there are 15 days that I try to solve this problem and I don't know neither its reason.
Attached, there are my world (quadrotor.world), quadrotor.world, the camera model (quadrotor_camera2.model) quadrotor_camera2.model, the quadrotor model (quadrotor.model) quadrotor.model and the cfg file (quadrotor.cfg)quadrotor.cfg

Thanks a lot for any reply!!!!!

Re: Instability problem

John Hsu-2
Hi,
I commented out the quadrotor_position3d controllers from your latest
world/model files, and the simulation appears stable.  What exactly does the
quadrotor controller do?  Can you also post the controller? as a plugin?
I am a bit unclear about what you mean by "replace payload with camera", can
you post both versions of the world files so I can diff them?  Does the
controller assume some  kind of mass balance of the model?
Thanks,
John