Importing 3ds model to Gazebo (scaling problem)

Importing 3ds model to Gazebo (scaling problem)

rdesgagn
I'm trying to import a 3DS model into Gazebo.  It will be a static object in the scene.  In my work, it will be a building.  I'm using blender to read the 3DS file then use the OGREXMLConverter plugin to export it as a .mesh file.  Then I modified the .world and .model accordingly so it can read the .mesh file.

The problem I'm facing is that in Gazebo the building is HUGE to what it's supposed to be.  I tried to play with the scale factor in blender before exporting to a .mesh file but no success.  I tried also to change the size and scale parameters in my .model file but no success again.

  <geom:box name="meuble_geom">
    <size>1 1 1</size>
    <mass>1</mass>

    <visual>
      <xyz>0 0 0</xyz>
      <rpy>0 0 0</rpy>
      <mesh>Media/models/wood.mesh</mesh>
      </visual>
   </geom:box>

Is there anything I can do or am I doing it correctly ?

René

Re: Importing 3ds model to Gazebo (scaling problem)

David Olsen-3
If I remember correctly and if it hasn't changed, imported meshes will be
scaled to fit a unit cube. So I presume your world is quite small. This only
happens to the visual, it will collide at the scale of the imported mesh.
Which is quite a pain. To scale the visual, put something like:

<size>0.1 0.1 0.1</size>

between the <visual></visual> tags.

Hope that helps,
David