Importing 3d models to Gazebo

jmarcio
Hello everybody,

In the laboratory I work we have some customized robots and we had their 3d models made in Alibre. Those models can be exported to several formats but we haven't found a format compatible with gazebo.

If for example I have a .stl 3d model, can I convert it to a format in order to use it in a gazebo world? or should I do a .model file from scratch without taking advantage of the models I already have?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sincerely,

Jmarciol

Re: Importing 3d models to Gazebo

John Hsu-2
Hi Jmarciol,

I am not familiar with alibre foramt, is it a complete kinematic / dynamic
specification of the robot?

but you can certainly use stl 3d meshes.  For example, setup blender to
export .mesh files from .stl files:
ln -s ${OGRE_SRC}/Tools/BlenderExport/* ~/.blender/scripts/

for more details, see:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Tools:_Blender
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Blender_to_Ogre

then your gazebo model file can use the generated .mesh files directly (for
example, look at ${GAZEBO_SRC}/worlds/trimesh.world.

John

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM, jmarcio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> In the laboratory I work we have some customized robots and we had their 3d
> models made in Alibre. Those models can be exported to several formats but
> we haven't found a format compatible with gazebo.
>
> If for example I have a .stl 3d model, can I convert it to a format in
> order
> to use it in a gazebo world? or should I do a .model file from scratch
> without taking advantage of the models I already have?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jmarciol

> Are you an open source citizen? Join us for the Open Source Bridge
> conference!
> Portland, OR, June 17-19. Two days of sessions, one day of unconference:
> $250.
> Need another reason to go? 24-hour hacker lounge. Register today!
>
> http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;215844324;13503038;v?http://opensourcebridge.org

Re: Importing 3d models to Gazebo

freyzor
Since Gazebo is ogre3d base it uses the native .mesh format.  If you can
import your model into Blender you can export using a plugin script.  See
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/OGRE_Meshes_Exporter for more
information.  I think the exporter still exports to an xml format you then
need to run oger xml to binary converter from command line.

regards,
Freyr