Ice another solution in the middleware game

Ice another solution in the middleware game

smog zer
Hi all.

As anyone heard of ICE(the middleware solution) ? I have the
impression that people that are trying to port player to other
middleware solutions are mostly using TAO and never talked about ICE.

These guys suggest that their libs offer better
performance(http://www.zeroc.com/performance/) and are easier to
learn.
Here is a verbatim sample of their homepage:

The Internet Communications Engine (Ice) is a modern alternative to
object middleware such as CORBA™ or COM/DCOM/COM+, with support for
C++, Java, Python, PHP, C#, and Visual Basic.

Ice is easy to learn, yet provides a powerful network infrastructure
for demanding technical applications. Ice shines where technologies
such as SOAP or XML-RPC are too slow, or do not provide sufficient
scalability or security. For a comparison between Ice and CORBA,
please see this page.

Ice is free software, available with full source, and released under
the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Commercial licenses
are available for customers who wish to use Ice for closed-source
software.

--
João Xavier
@ smogzer_at_gmail.com
University of Coimbra
HS^µéšŠX¬²š'²ŠÞu¼“jg²¢êÝz÷¥¢™žž×!jY^ž¬Â+a–œ…ëzº'Šj¦”ž®÷«Œ'–†�Š×è­úÞy©Ým秵êÞvÚ0Šv¸Ú™Z²f­¾Šò¢êïz¼¨Ât¨Ÿ+f=#–'$…êÞ¶Šek(m¶Ÿÿ²‹«qç讧zßàzº'Šj)†“åk'«²Ö yׯzZ)z»&j)bž b²Óåk'«²Ö yׯzZ)z»%ŠËl²‹«qç讧zØm¶›?þX¬¶Ë(º·~Šàzw­þX¬¶ÏåŠËb�ú?¦V²z»-j�z÷¥¢—«°

Re: Ice another solution in the middleware game

Brian Gerkey

On Sep 14, 2005, at 7:55 AM, smog zer wrote:

> The Internet Communications Engine (Ice) is a modern alternative to
> object middleware such as CORBA™ or COM/DCOM/COM+, with support for
> C++, Java, Python, PHP, C#, and Visual Basic.
>
> Ice is easy to learn, yet provides a powerful network infrastructure
> for demanding technical applications. Ice shines where technologies
> such as SOAP or XML-RPC are too slow, or do not provide sufficient
> scalability or security. For a comparison between Ice and CORBA,
> please see this page.
>
> Ice is free software, available with full source, and released under
> the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Commercial licenses
> are available for customers who wish to use Ice for closed-source
> software.

Sounds like it could be very useful.  Player 2.0's new library
decomposition allows for the implementation of different transport
layers, of which ICE could certainly be one.  I would recommend waiting
for the release of Player 2.0 before starting on this project, to make
sure that the API has stabilized.

        brian.