How is a .so file executed?

kparvate
Hello!

I have just started programming with Player and Stage on Ubuntu 12.04. I have
installed Player and Stage successfully and I am able to run the example
programs. I want to use Eclipse to build and test my programs. I think i have
configured that correctly also, as I can take my code and build a ".so" file.
However, I am unsure as to what to do at this point. I don't know how to have my
file interact with player/stage. Executing the .so file leads to a segmentation
fault. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: How is a .so file executed?

Richard Vaughan-2
Please read Jenny Owen's compregensive tutorial document, available
from the docs page on the website.

On 12/29/2012 04:41 PM, Kanaad Parvate wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have just started programming with Player and Stage on Ubuntu 12.04. I have
> installed Player and Stage successfully and I am able to run the example
> programs. I want to use Eclipse to build and test my programs. I think i have
> configured that correctly also, as I can take my code and build a ".so" file.
> However, I am unsure as to what to do at this point. I don't know how to have my
> file interact with player/stage. Executing the .so file leads to a segmentation
> fault. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Which example are you trying to build?  If you're building a Player
client with libplayerc or libplayerc++, you need to configure your
eclipse project to emit an executable file rather than a shared object
(.so library).  If you're trying to build a Stage controller or a Player
driver, you don't execute the shared object directly. Instead, you have
to edit the Player configuration file or the Stage worldfile to load the
library.