Gazebo (server) dependency with GL

Jordi Polo Carrés

I got gazebo  (CVS) working and tried the next command:

wxgazebo /usr/local/share/gazebo/worlds/example.world

I got this:

using display [:0]
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  145 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  27 ()
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  15

I use nvidia driver and gl applications are working OK.
So my first question is what's going on here.

Then I tried the next command:

gazebo /usr/local/share/gazebo/worlds/example.world

And I get the same error.
I opened the main.cc file of the server subdirectory (where gazebo program is
built) and read:

"The basic gazebo server is a console-mode application: it creates no
windows and accepts no user input.  The console-mode server is useful
for running automated tests and batch experiments."

Ok, perfect.
But that's the theory in the code glut is used to inicialize! Even when it
doesn't show any window, X libraries and glut is needed to run the server.

My second question is, ¿It is needed or just an old legacy?  I'm temped to
delete all the glut related code in the server and post a patch, but maybe is
just not useful.

Re: Gazebo (server) dependency with GL

Mr Allwyn Fernandes
Hi Jordi,

On Thursday 01 December 2005 16:09, Jordi wrote:

> wxgazebo /usr/local/share/gazebo/worlds/example.world
>
> I got this:
>
> using display [:0]
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  145 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  27 ()
>   Value in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  13
>   Current serial number in output stream:  15
>

> I use nvidia driver and gl applications are working OK.
> So my first question is what's going on here.

Usually it helps if we have a little more info; What system are you running
this on, what's the output from glxinfo, what is logged in ~/.gazebo?

> My second question is, ¿It is needed or just an old legacy?  I'm temped to
> delete all the glut related code in the server and post a patch, but maybe
> is just not useful.

Even in console mode, Gazebo needs to render camera images, and for this it
uses OpenGL. If you want to eliminate OpenGL usage, simply remove all the
ObserverCam and MonoCam/StereoHead/SonyVID30 cameras from your world file.
You should then be able to use both gazebo and wxgazebo without those OpenGL
errors.

For more information on how OpenGL is used in Gazebo, look in the manual:
http://playerstage.sf.net/doc/Gazebo-manual-cvs-html/gazebo_opengl.html

Cheers,

Allwyn.

--