Distributed Processing

James Goodwin
Haven't used player yet, but wondering if I can do the following.

I know I can use player to subscribe sensor data to the player server, then red the sensor data using any robot and write to the positional drivers of any robot, using a client.  But,...

Can I also broadcast processed sensor data, or internal information stored within my client to another client?

Thanks very much,
James

The contents of this email (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system.

Re: Distributed Processing

Brian Gerkey

On Sep 28, 2005, at 6:11 AM, James Goodwin wrote:

> Can I also broadcast processed sensor data, or internal information
> stored within my client to another client?

Sure.  You just need to implement your own client->client messaging
system.  If your clients are all on the same network, then UDP
broadcast/multicast may be a good choice.  You might also look at the
'mcom'  driver, which routes messages between clients by way of the
server (some users have recently reported problems with that driver).

     brian.

--
Brian Gerkey
[hidden email]

Re: Distributed Processing

Toby Collett-2
Depending on what exactly your client will be doing you can also write
'virtual drivers' that dont interact physically with hardware but use
the output of other drivers. By using a virtual driver you can make the
processed data available to clients through any of the standard player
interfaces.

for example the amcl localisation driver uses underlying laser and map
devices and outputs using the localisations interface.

Toby