Detecting collisions in Gazebo

Pablo Garcia-2
Hi all,

I'd like to execute long duration tests at night and I need to know if
Gazebo provides a way to detect collisions and to save the instant or the
position of the robot where it happened. Do you know if exist an implemented
function to do something like that?

In other case, do you know a method to estimate collisions through sensors
data? (odometry, laser, sonar)

thanks in advance,

--
Pablo García

Re: Detecting collisions in Gazebo

John Hsu-2
Hi Pablo,
Gazebo has a contact sensor that will do what you described here, for
example, you can embed an XML block like this in your body:
        <sensor:contact name="body_contact_sensor">
            <geom>your_geom_name</geom>
            <updateRate>100.0</updateRate>
            <controller:bumper name="body_bumper_controller">
                <updateRate>100.0</updateRate>
                <interface:bumper name="body_bumper_iface" />
            </controller:bumper>
        </sensor:contact>

I know the contact sensor works, but have not tested the bumper controller
recently.
John