Colored lights in player/stage?

Dougie Leung
Hi,

I was looking thru the player API's and was trying to look for functions that would change colors to objects in real time, and obviously I couldnt find any coz that would be against the rules of a real world. So I am wondering, if it is possible to have an object which is physically non-existent yet its color is detectable by other clients (thru blob maybe?) ie. color lights and not "blinking lights".

I am trying to develop a traffic light robot.

My option now is to put a physical robot barrier colored red so that car clients maybe blocked, yet I am finding issues when cars are the the barrier.

Thanks very very much in advance.

Doug

Re: Colored lights in player/stage?

Brian Gerkey

On Oct 3, 2005, at 6:37 PM, Dougie Leung wrote:

> I was looking thru the player API's and was trying to look for
> functions that would change colors to objects in real time, and
> obviously I couldnt find any coz that would be against the rules of
> a real world. So I am wondering, if it is possible to have an
> object which is physically non-existent yet its color is detectable
> by other clients (thru blob maybe?) ie. color lights and not
> "blinking lights".

I think that you can instantiate a "model," which is basically a
box.  Set various flags to make it visible to a blobfinder, but
invisible to laser, sonar, and obstacle detection.  See the model docs:

http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/doc/stage-2.0.0a/group__model.html

That should suffice for a fixed color.  I don't know whether you can
change colors on the fly.

     brian.

Re: Colored lights in player/stage?

Richard vaughan

On 6-Oct-05, at 9:47 AM, Brian Gerkey wrote:

On Oct 3, 2005, at 6:37 PM, Dougie Leung wrote:

I was looking thru the player API's and was trying to look for functions that would change colors to objects in real time, and obviously I couldnt find any coz that would be against the rules of a real world. So I am wondering, if it is possible to have an object which is physically non-existent yet its color is detectable by other clients (thru blob maybe?) ie. color lights and not "blinking lights".

I think that you can instantiate a "model," which is basically a box.  Set various flags to make it visible to a blobfinder, but invisible to laser, sonar, and obstacle detection.  See the model docs:

That should suffice for a fixed color.  I don't know whether you can change colors on the fly.

You can't change colors yet - that will be a new feature soon. Meanwhile a trick that we use here is to have a collection of objects of different colors stashed at some out-of-the-way location, then we move them into place using the simulation interface's "set pose" methods.

Richard/

    brian.

Richard Vaughan

School of Computing Science / Simon Fraser University