Actuator array interface not responding

Luis Manso
Hello,

I'm trying to model and simulate a robotic device using Gazebo. I decided to
use the "actuator array" interface. My first attempt was to model a simple
example and then model the whole device, but it seems I'm doing something
wrong.

When I place the example device directly in the world, everything is ok.
When I nest it in a robot the actarray interface doesn't respond.

Additional data:
 - Gazebo version: SVN rev-8858.
 - Program interface: libgazebo.
 - I don't get any error message.

The Generic_Actarray::UpdateChild() is never called. I wrote an output
message on the function, but it is only shown when the model is not nested.

The Gazebo world file and the model are attached.

Thanks in advance.

Luis

Re: Actuator array interface not responding

John Hsu-2
Hi,
This has been ticketed here:
https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4368
John

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Luis Manso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to model and simulate a robotic device using Gazebo. I decided
> use the "actuator array" interface. My first attempt was to model a simple
> example and then model the whole device, but it seems I'm doing something
> wrong.
>
> When I place the example device directly in the world, everything is ok.
> When I nest it in a robot the actarray interface doesn't respond.
>
> Additional data:
>  - Gazebo version: SVN rev-8858.
>  - Program interface: libgazebo.
>  - I don't get any error message.
>
> The Generic_Actarray::UpdateChild() is never called. I wrote an output
> message on the function, but it is only shown when the model is not nested.
>
> The Gazebo world file and the model are attached.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Luis

Re: Actuator array interface not responding

Luis Manso
Hi,

Does anybody know of any workaround I could use without changing the
simulator's code? I would like people to be able to use the model in the
official version of Gazebo.

Luis

2010/8/27 John Hsu <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
> This has been ticketed here:
> https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4368
> John
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Luis Manso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to model and simulate a robotic device using Gazebo. I decided
> > use the "actuator array" interface. My first attempt was to model a
> simple
> > example and then model the whole device, but it seems I'm doing something
> > wrong.
> >
> > When I place the example device directly in the world, everything is ok.
> > When I nest it in a robot the actarray interface doesn't respond.
> >
> > Additional data:
> >  - Gazebo version: SVN rev-8858.
> >  - Program interface: libgazebo.
> >  - I don't get any error message.
> >
> > The Generic_Actarray::UpdateChild() is never called. I wrote an output
> > message on the function, but it is only shown when the model is not
> nested.
> >
> > The Gazebo world file and the model are attached.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Luis

Re: Actuator array interface not responding

John Hsu-2
Hi Luis,
Is it possible to un-nest and merge the models?

Also, I've attached a patch for trunk 8858, can you test it out and let me
know if this fixes the issue for you?

thanks,
John

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Luis Manso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know of any workaround I could use without changing the
> simulator's code? I would like people to be able to use the model in the
> official version of Gazebo.
>
> Luis
>
> 2010/8/27 John Hsu <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi,
> > This has been ticketed here:
> > https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4368
> > John
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Luis Manso <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to model and simulate a robotic device using Gazebo. I
> decided
> > > use the "actuator array" interface. My first attempt was to model a
> > simple
> > > example and then model the whole device, but it seems I'm doing
> something
> > > wrong.
> > >
> > > When I place the example device directly in the world, everything is
> ok.
> > > When I nest it in a robot the actarray interface doesn't respond.
> > >
> > > Additional data:
> > >  - Gazebo version: SVN rev-8858.
> > >  - Program interface: libgazebo.
> > >  - I don't get any error message.
> > >
> > > The Generic_Actarray::UpdateChild() is never called. I wrote an output
> > > message on the function, but it is only shown when the model is not
> > nested.
> > >
> > > The Gazebo world file and the model are attached.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Luis

> > > Sell apps to millions through the Intel(R) Atom(Tm) Developer Program
> > > Be part of this innovative community and reach millions of netbook
> users
> > > worldwide. Take advantage of special opportunities to increase revenue
> > and
> > > speed time-to-market. Join now, and jumpstart your future.
> > > http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d

Re: Actuator array interface not responding

Luis Manso
Hi John,

I can't see the patch you attached. Is it possible you forgot to do it?

I didn't think about merging the models. Its better to have it separate, but
I guess I can separate them again once it's solved.

Good and simple idea. Thanks.

Luis

2010/8/27 John Hsu <[hidden email]>

> Hi Luis,
> Is it possible to un-nest and merge the models?
>
> Also, I've attached a patch for trunk 8858, can you test it out and let me
> know if this fixes the issue for you?
>
> thanks,
> John
>

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Luis Manso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anybody know of any workaround I could use without changing the
> > simulator's code? I would like people to be able to use the model in the
> > official version of Gazebo.
> >
> > Luis
> >
> > 2010/8/27 John Hsu <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > This has been ticketed here:
> > > https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4368
> > > John

> > decided
> > > simple
> > something

> > ok.

> output
> > > nested.

> > users
> revenue
> > > and

> > > Sell apps to millions through the Intel(R) Atom(Tm) Developer Program
> > > Be part of this innovative community and reach millions of netbook
> users
> > > worldwide. Take advantage of special opportunities to increase revenue
> > and
> > > speed time-to-market. Join now, and jumpstart your future.
> > > http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d

Re: Actuator array interface not responding

John Hsu-2
hm... I attached it, but it probably got filtered out by the mailing list?
you can get it here:
https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/attachment/ticket/4368/Model.patch
Please let me know if you have a chance to test it out, thanks.
John

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Luis Manso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I can't see the patch you attached. Is it possible you forgot to do it?
>
> I didn't think about merging the models. Its better to have it separate,
> but
> I guess I can separate them again once it's solved.
>
> Good and simple idea. Thanks.
>
> Luis
>
> 2010/8/27 John Hsu <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi Luis,
> > Is it possible to un-nest and merge the models?
> >
> > Also, I've attached a patch for trunk 8858, can you test it out and let
> me
> > know if this fixes the issue for you?
> >
> > thanks,
> > John
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Luis Manso <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anybody know of any workaround I could use without changing the
> > > simulator's code? I would like people to be able to use the model in
> the
> > > official version of Gazebo.
> > >
> > > Luis

> > > decided
> > > something

> is
> > > ok.

> > output

> Program
> > > users
> > revenue

> > users
> revenue
> > > and

> > > Sell apps to millions through the Intel(R) Atom(Tm) Developer Program
> > > Be part of this innovative community and reach millions of netbook
> users
> > > worldwide. Take advantage of special opportunities to increase revenue
> > and
> > > speed time-to-market. Join now, and jumpstart your future.
> > > http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d

Re: Actuator array interface not responding

Luis Manso
The patch works great. I'll stick to the workaround until the patch
(hopefully) it's included in the main branch.