About creating an outside world

ts2883
Hi, I feel so relieved to have found this forum. I am new to Gazebo and have been struggling for quite some time now with no guidance.

1. I need to create an outside world with several buildings (with windows, doors, 2-3 floors, stairs, etc.) and several days of googling, researching, trial-and-errors didn't help. I am guessing that there is no easy GUI way of creating them. I know this could be vague, but could you please tell me (as much in detail as possible) how to create them or at least point me to the right direction?

2. In line with the above question, how would you create an object like a tree? Do you just build a solid block and cover it with a skin?

3. Are there any Gazebo tutorial books available?

4. Are there any other good Gazebo forum available?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Thank you very much in advance.

Re: About creating an outside world

Nate Koenig-4
Hello,

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:36 PM, ts2883 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. I need to create an outside world with several buildings (with windows,
> doors, 2-3 floors, stairs, etc.) and several days of googling, researching,
> trial-and-errors didn't help. I am guessing that there is no easy GUI way of
> creating them. I know this could be vague, but could you please tell me (as
> much in detail as possible) how to create them or at least point me to the
> right direction?

I would use large blocks covered with a texture. The texture can
contain the windows and doors. This is assuming that you don't need a
functionally correct building.

> 2. In line with the above question, how would you create an object like a
> tree? Do you just build a solid block and cover it with a skin?

You are correct. Use a block, and then apply a skin. I would suggest
using Blender (a 3D modeling app) to create ogre compatible meshes.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Tools:_Blender

> 3. Are there any Gazebo tutorial books available?

No books, just an online manual
(http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/doc/Gazebo-manual-svn-html/)
Also, code examples are in the sources (gazebo/examples/)

> 4. Are there any other good Gazebo forum available?

As far as I know this is the only gazebo forum.