50,031 downloads

Richard vaughan
Folks,

We hit a landmark sometime in the last day or two: 50,000 downloads
of P/S/G software releases from Sourceforge. There's no way to tell
how many users that indicates, but it's quite a few. Congratulations
to everyone who has contributed to the project since its birth in 2000.

best,
Richard/

More info:

The origin story:    http://www-robotics.usc.edu/~dshell/roboticswiki/
index.php/PlayerHistory

Latest download stats:

http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?
group_id=42445&ugn=playerstage&type=prdownload&mode=alltime&package_id=0

Python bindings not being selected by configure

Geoffrey Biggs
If a debug python interpreter is used then the Python bindings will not
be selected for building by configure. This is because the configure
test checks if the output of 'python -c "import distutils"' is an empty
string, but with a debug interpreter it isn't. This means that the line

ac_distutils_result=`python -c "import distutils" 2>&1`
if test -z "$ac_distutils_result"; then

fails, even if the actual command works fine:

~/src/player $ python -c "import distutils" 2>&1
[6707 refs]

I've submitted a bug about this:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1467401&group_id=42445&atid=433164

Geoff

--
Robotics research group, University of Auckland
http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~gbig005/

pmap for Player 2

Geoffrey Biggs
We're trying to get the pmap utility and lodo driver going with player
2, but it's not proving to be as straight forward as we thought
(segfaults galore). We're half-way through porting and beginning to run
into unexpected errors in the libraries themselves. We did have
pmap_test working flawlessly with the new format produced by writelog,
but after porting lodo_driver to player 2 we've been getting segfaults
in the lodo library.

The version in CVS hasn't been touched since it was checked in 14 months
ago. Has anyone else here ported it to player 2 yet?

Geoff

--
Robotics research group, University of Auckland
http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~gbig005/

Re: Python bindings not being selected by configure

Francesco Grandis
Geoffrey Biggs <g.biggs <at> auckland.ac.nz> writes:

> If a debug python interpreter is used then the Python bindings will not
> be selected for building by configure. This is because the configure
> test checks if the output of 'python -c "import distutils"' is an empty
> string, but with a debug interpreter it isn't. This means that the line
>
> ac_distutils_result=`python -c "import distutils" 2>&1`
> if test -z "$ac_distutils_result"; then
>
> fails, even if the actual command works fine:
>
> ~/src/player $ python -c "import distutils" 2>&1
> [6707 refs]
>
> I've submitted a bug about this:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1467401&
group_id=42445&atid=433164

> Geoff

Following the comment on the bug tracker i updated my player to HEAD, but i
still get the same error. I've already verified that
python -c "import distutils"
gives no error message in the usual interpreter, so i assume PYTHONPATH is
set up correctly (/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages), but still no luck with
configure. I modified configure to force building distutils since i know
they're present, but it's not a long-term solution. What could i be missing?

On a second-mind thought, i verified that actually the PYTHONPATH variable
has no influence on "import distutils". Anyway
python -v -c "import distutils"
give me:
import distutils # directory /usr/lib/python2.4/distutils
# /usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/__init__.pyc matches
/usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/__init__.py
import distutils # precompiled from
/usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/__init__.pyc

Thanks
Francesco

Re: Re: Python bindings not being selected by configure

Geoffrey Biggs
A fix for the problem mentioned below was put into CVS a little while
ago. However there is a new problem with detection of python.h due to
versioned subdirectories in /usr/include. Toby and I are working on it
at the moment.

Geoff

--
Robotics research group, University of Auckland
http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~gbig005/

cvs pmap for Player 2.0.3

pvsousa
Hello

I see your message and I have a maybe dumb question: I use player 2.0.3 and know I want to use the pmap but the cvs version ( because the old one is not working with log files). is possible to just compile it?Or when I get the cvs version os anything i have to compile(autoreconf, automake) all the player again? And in this case (just pmap) what I have to do?Get the files from cvs and put them in player directory??If you can help me I will appreciate..

Best Regards,

Pedro

Geoffrey Biggs wrote